kam diffs

Russ, might depend on what you want from them? They're not popular, I think Lara uses them, compared with the ARB but I'd be tempted if I wanted a long term (expedition) low maintenance locker. The ARBs are nice but do suffer breakages and the seals go over time but I guess even that's field repairable. FWIW personaly I've always found KAMs fine to deal with. KAM are also pretty unique in offering a combined LSD/Locker if that's what you want.

I don't like them as a mate bought a Muddler with a set - asked for some spares "Oh we don't do them any more :angry: )

Not that old at all, and KAM not interested, luckily we made the bits needed, found later what had broken was a regular problem - and they no longer do the parts FFS :angry:

ARBs ta for me and him now

Nige

If it is for a challenge, may I suggest you do the Toyota conversion, put a spool in the rear, make the LT230 2wd/4wd and put a detroit or another spool up front with hydrolic steering...

That's if you are weary of the ARBs...

I have had 2 sets since 2000 and haven't had issues with either set...best would be getting ARBs, but if you don't want to face the "issues", then the above would be a solution

I've always thought that the KAM lsd/locker combination looked like a fantastic way of having your cake and eating it, LSD's on the road are fab, especially with tyres like simex and off road they work very well, add the option of a manual over-ride to this to lock them fully and it really screams best of both worlds....in practice it may be different but on paper it works!

EDIT: http://www.kamdiffs.com/pdf/DIFLOK%7E4b.pdf is the info on it, kit also includes strengthened shafts so not too bad for the money.

I've always thought that the KAM lsd/locker combination looked like a fantastic way of having your cake and eating it, LSD's on the road are fab, especially with tyres like simex and off road they work very well, add the option of a manual over-ride to this to lock them fully and it really screams best of both worlds....in practice it may be different but on paper it works!

EDIT: http://www.kamdiffs.com/pdf/DIFLOK%7E4b.pdf is the info on it, kit also includes strengthened shafts so not too bad for the money.

I agree. I have used Kam lockers front and rear on the NAS for the last 8 years with very few problems, in fact only a problem when I have mis-used the equipment. Unlike ARB you get uprated half shafts. With the number of posts on this forum detailing problems with ARB lockers I wonder why KAM are not more popular. Pete (Bathtub) will no doubt tell you that KAM products are easily broken but then Pete always drives at 110% and foot to the floor :lol:

I dont see why the KAM uprated shafts and CV's should be any less strong than the uprated Ashcroft stuff - i personally likwe the idea of the solinoid actuated locker too, especially wiht an LSD componant. No airlines to worry about, no compressor or tank needed.....i guess its one of them you takes you money and makes your choice type things, i'm still undecided as to go KAM lsd/lockers and shafts or go ARB/ashcroft route.

One of the things that puts some off KAM is the need to get the axle case modified which then raises the Q whether it might be as easy to fit a Toy centre?

Rakeway make alot of the parts for KAM, they are fitted in Jeremy Fearns bowler, which is putting out around 600 lbft torque. However the diffs Rakeway fitted to Fearns Bowler were slightly different to the ones KAM sell to the average punter (or were anyway). I think some of the bits were changed for better quality parts. If you do pursue the KAM option then I'd get them from Rakeway or at least talk to Neil there.

Andy