Alternative engine to TD5

45 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I'd be very keen in hearing how you get on. I'm very tempted by it if I don't get on with the turboed LD28 in the 6x6.

Just today was pootling around and it dropped oil pressure when warm. Might be a number of things (including dodgy gauge) so I'm not being inspired with confidence in it yet.

put a cummins in there with a heavy duty R380 from ashcroft and a 1,6 transfer case and you will have a seriously serious offroad load carrying machine, got any pics of your 6x6? 

See my signature for a link to a thread for more details. It's got a factory standard LT95 in there with integrated transfer case, supposedly the LT95 itself is very strong albeit a 4 speed box.

Off-road pah not so much - with rusted up leaf springs it struggles on my driveways at the moment, no flex and an open diffs means loss of traction is very easy.

Current plan is to get it on the road and see how the engine feels / behaves itself, by all accounts it's a capable engine once turbo charged (which it is) so we'll see. It's just of unknown origin since the chap who had it before died suddenly and although we know it came out of a working vehicle don't even know the mileage on it.

6 minutes ago, bodumatau said:

put a cummins in there with a heavy duty R380

I have a theory, based on various friends with various engine conversions, that big diesels (especially 4-pot) kill LR transmissions with big lumps of torque no matter what you do. More cylinders means more, smaller, lumps and less stress which is how boxes seem to survive better behind large petrol V8's than things like the TGV or Isuzu / Nissan / etc. diesel 4-bangers even though they're making similar torque on paper - 400nm over 8 bangs is half the "peak" of 400nm in 4 bangs.

• Like 1

Just now, FridgeFreezer said:

I have a theory, based on various friends with various engine conversions, that big diesels (especially 4-pot) kill LR transmissions with big lumps of torque no matter what you do. More cylinders means more, smaller, lumps and less stress which is how boxes seem to survive better behind large petrol V8's than things like the TGV or Isuzu / Nissan / etc. diesel 4-bangers even though they're making similar torque on paper - 400nm over 8 bangs is half the "peak" of 400nm in 4 bangs.

That's part of the reason I'm hesitant over the R2.8 - if it had been a 6 cylinder I'd have jumped on it. As it is I'm cautious.

• 3 months later...
On 3/12/2020 at 8:05 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I think we can be pretty confident this is the case - the old LT76 seems to tolerate V8s better than Tdis, even though the V8 figures are higher.