Hands Free Kit

leeds

Am looking for a hands free kit for the Land Rovers

Have tried a blue tooth ear piece thing but am not right impressed with them. The tom tom is ok but don't always have it on.

So any advice re blue tooth hands free kit?

Are portable ones any good? Or do I need to have one hard wired in each vehicle?

How many phones can they be paired with?

Any other points to look at?

Regards

Leeds

Due to my work I spend most of my 2hr drive home on the Phone.

I have a sony ericsson kit which is superb blue tooth hands free car kit in my D2.

I sorted the fitting of mine and my mates, he had a Parot system which worked well in his RR3.

We both had issues with the phone kit working with the radio speakers and had to have the crapy extra speeker.

I have phone blue tooth on all the time and the kit only works when you turn the key. I would not be with out it now.

Work paid for the kits and the fitting I got them from National Car phones. there not cheep but it will give you a idea for whet to look for.

Due to my work I spend most of my 2hr drive home on the Phone.

I have a sony ericsson kit which is superb blue tooth hands free car kit in my D2.

I sorted the fitting of mine and my mates, he had a Parot system which worked well in his RR3.

We both had issues with the phone kit working with the radio speakers and had to have the crapy extra speeker.

I have phone blue tooth on all the time and the kit only works when you turn the key. I would not be with out it now.

Work paid for the kits and the fitting I got them from National Car phones. there not cheep but it will give you a idea for whet to look for.

:D Just a silly side track about hands free kits in vehicles. The hands free mike on all my Yellow brakedown vehicles was always fitted to the top of the door frame next my ear, pre blue tooth. Iff the boss phoned I simply opened the window he soon got the idea and stoped calling me as often.

In my Defender I've got a Nokia CK-7W Bluetooth kit fitted with the the Pop-in port. I can use it as bluetooth only kit, but I find it useful to be able to charge my phone.

I've also fitted the Sony-Ericsson bluetooth kit a very good kit.

The Parrot kits are good. With the screen on the dash, it allows you to see who's calling (caller id) and scroll through the names in your phone book, even with your phone in your pocket. The only problem we find with the parrot kit, is you can't view text messages on the dash screen.

Normally you can only pair one phone with the kit at a time. We have a Nokia CK-7W kit thats got 4 phones sync'd with it, this way who ever has got the car, there phone auto pairs with it on ignition. The only problem with this is if 2 or more of us get in the car, then it connects with the last persons phone who was driving.

What LR are you fitting your kit to?

Hope this helps, if you need any more info just shout.

What LR are you fitting your kit to?

Hope this helps, if you need any more info just shout.

SHOUT :P

Fitting one to the 110 and one to a Disco 2. The hybrid it is not worth bothering with due to noise level in it.

Currently using Sony Ericsons phones. I would prefer not to have to dock the phone so that I am not tempted to leave phone in LR. We have 3 SE phones between us. Understand that some of these systems can log upto 5 phones, but do they just log onto one at a time? Do you have to notify it which phone is active?

Ideally would want the system live from putting ignition key in and not have to activate anything. The device reading texts would be a bonus but not essential.

The Tom Tom 910 works okish but its internal mike is not brillant. External mike fitted on windscreen blind means lead dangling around. The Tom Tom does read texts out as well. Problem with Tom Tom is that it's not always in vehicle/plugged in for security reasons

Regards

Leeds

I run the sony E kit in a disco 2 but as mine is a fully loaded ES had problems with the amps and speeker which ment I had the small speaker.

I only when for the SE kit due to my SE phone will not always connect to non SE kit my work phone is a Nokia which connects fine.

Fitting one to the 110 and one to a Disco 2.

For the Disco I would buy a wiring adaptor from Auto Leads. These make the kits plug and play, and the sound will come through the radio speakers. This one http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/06-050B.html or

this one http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/06-060B.html depending on radio. But you could wire it into the back of the radio and use a sperate speaker.

For the Defender I would pick up a live and ignition off the back of the radio. Depending on your radio you can have it mute when the phone rings. I would use a seperate speaker, this allows you to put it in the best position to hear it, depending on your defender noise level.

Currently using Sony Ericsons phones. I would prefer not to have to dock the phone so that I am not tempted to leave phone in LR. We have 3 SE phones between us. Understand that some of these systems can log upto 5 phones, but do they just log onto one at a time? Do you have to notify it which phone is active?

If you buy the Nokia CK-7W kit you can sync more than one phone (we've got 4 sync'd), but can only have one phone paired at any one time. When you turn the ignition on it auto connects to your phone. The only problem is if you have one or more phones (that have been sync'd to the kit). It will pair the last phone that was connected. The way round this is to turn the bluetooth off, on the phone you dont want connected. Our Nokia kit runs both Sony Ericson and Nokia phones.

Ideally would want the system live from putting ignition key in and not have to activate anything.

All the kits have an ignition supply to them, so they connect to your phone when you turn your key on.

Hope thats answerd your questions.

I used to have a proper hands free kit for my old phone (Samsung?) in the rangie, but it was not far off unusable on the motorway as no-one could hear me over the vehicle noise. In the disco it really would have been useless. Now I just use the cheapo wired in-ear kit that came with the phone, which is much better, but if I was a heavy phone user I'd go for a bluetooth headset.

I would imagine a proper kit would have the same noise level issues in the 110, but is probably the way to go for the disco II?