LT230 rebuild

HoSS

so, another question

At the same time as fitting my autobox conversion, I am going to rebuild the transfer box.

theres nothing specifically wrong with it (leaks a bit of oil, output shaft clunk)

I have ashcroft 1.2 Q gear set, gasket set, bearing set.

(Mr Ashcroft also very kindly gave me diff cup/shims and a few other bits, top marks!)

But i notice the rebuild manual says in many places to renew O rings, and to measure preload / backlash & fit correct shims.

Does anyone know how important that is? found it necessary?

doing that would require me to start the job, measure & then order correct shims....

I've rebuilt the front end and done seals but not the main box. The 2 things I'll say is replace all the seals / gaskets as a matter of course even if they look fine (they may well have dried out) and the bearinng that supports the front output shaft has a habit of going so is worth replacing.

As with all transmission assemblies if you just change a few seals and gaskets what have you achieved? Yes, I've bin there and done that several times, usually skimping due to pressure to return the vehicle to the road. Success rate is probably 50%.

If you want to actually extend the working life of that assembly then put it together as the designer originally intended.

Get friendly with your local dealer/source of spares, it is not too difficult to arrange things like shims on sale or return terms.

jw

There is every possibility that you can rebuild the transfer case with new bearings, seals and gaskets, making no adjustments to preloads and clearances, finishing with a T/C that functions and doesn't leak.

Woohoo, magic, saved some labour and cost there. Bin there, done that.

Then a little later you realise that part of the slack in your transmission is due to slack in the differential because you didn't adjust it properly. Still you can live with that.

Then a bit later you also realise that the T/C gets a bit noisy when warmed up, damn, must be one of the bearing preloads a bit tight. Never mind, can live with that.

It's not going to be long before the T/C is talking to you permanently, suggesting that you get a replacement from Ashcrofts.

Correct clearances and preloads mean that the components work as they should and lubrication is effective.

Would you really want the guy who installs your ARB difflocks not to bother with setting the crownwheel backash and bearing preloads?

Don't really know how to put it any stronger here without getting the moderators busy with censorship. Go on, do it your way. I'm just passing on a bit of advice from forty years of experience with quite a few FUBARs on the way.

Les, help me out here!!!!!

jw

Don't really know how to put it any stronger here without getting the moderators busy with censorship. Go on, do it your way. I'm just passing on a bit of advice from forty years of experience with quite a few FUBARs on the way.

Les, help me out here!!!!!

jw

Easy, jw:

Yes, as mentioned i have full bearing set & new gears.

But what i really wanted to know is how important is the shiming?

Very.

:D

not sure when in assembly you shim a LT230 but couldnt you do what im hoping to do with my LT77? that is build it yourself & then take it somewhere to get the end-floats measured so you can get the correct shims?

this is my plan as the shims on a LT77 go behind the front plate & you can put everything else on before that.

Andy - the rebuild manual details what & where to shim thats clear.

You can't do it after cos that means a full strip.

JW - that advice is what i was looking for thanks. (although nobody said you were wrong, so the attitude baffles me a bit)

I will measure as i go & order shims to suit.

You could disregard the shimming and it'll no doubt be ok for a while. Setting preloads/shimming etc can be a pain, but generally is worth it in the long term. Wear in the transfer box can accellerate wear elsewhere, so it's worth doing the job properly in the first place. Strip and rebuild it - put the info in the tech archive and get flamed immortalised.

Les. :D