Leaking and missing rear Axle number

Hi All,

Last month I changed all the oil of my Landy - named Wheely given the 6 wheels ;)
I don't use Wheely often, but last week after it had been parked for a 5-6 days and noticed a big leak underneath - I brought it to the lube bay and had to top-up almost 1LT of oil in the auxiliary gearbox - the main one was still level... See the pictures - the leak is just after the auxiliary and at the joint of the rear axle.

I am in Ghana and mechanics are not too savvy on what to do to fix the problem, but once you give them the right parts and provide some guidance they can do magic - hence I would really be happy if you could tell me what pieces (part number) I need to buy to fix this up, and whether whilst I am doing this work and have these bits down I should do anything else. Wheely is a 1995 110 Defender - now it fits the 200TDI engine and gearbox. 

I found the serial number of the transmission (28D2 89013E) and of the front axle (64I 17310A) and lazy axle (the 3rd axle -42s17124a )... but not the one of the rear axle (the 2nd axle) despite I have scrubbed the whole axle to the bone!! Could it be that as part of the conversion CarMichael replaced the axle with one without serial number?

Besides this mystery, now that we know the type of transmission (model LT230 transfer case), what parts do I have to buy to stop the leaking (captured in pictures IMG 2012 and 2013) ? The front axle sweats rather than leaks as the transmission and rear axle do...

For the rear axle I posted some pictures of it from side (IMG-2015) and from the back (IMG- 2017). anyone can recognize it? The leaking is captured in picture IMG2014 and IMG-2015)

Thanks so much for the support!

Ah.  Not auxilliary gear box (that gives the impression of transfer box), but differential housing.  From that photo, I'd suggest it is just a leaking pinion seal.  It is a Salisbury axle, not Rover, so make sure you get the correct seal.  You must inspect the pinion flange where the seal contacts the smooth surface - it may be worn or damaged, which would make the new seal equally useless.  New flanges are available and not outrageously priced.  I don't have part numbers to hand, but they're a standard part for all 110s until 2002ish.

The preload on the pinion bearings is set by tightening the nut inside the flange (you remove the prop shaft first).  Have the mechanics clean the nut and pinion and put alignment marks on both carefully before removing the nut - the should tighten the nut to exactly the same rotational position on reassembly to avoid damaging the bearings.  If, however, they need to replace the flange, then an unapproved method is to set the nut to 150'lbs - that will be sufficient torque to prevent loosening but not enough to increase bearing preload over the factory setting.

Six wheelers are uncommon, even in 4x6 format, so I think we'd all be keen to see more pictures of the vehicle and some detail shots of the rear axle and suspension!

Thanks very much @Snagger for your reply - glad you are interested in finding more about Wheely - I will be taking some pics and share!

Finally I am found a way to upload all of the pictures highlighting the 2 parts where Wheely is leaking 

1) Transfer care (LT230) + hand-brake drum - any idea of what I should buy to fix this?

2) rear differential housing: Since I need to buy the parts in the UK, ship them here to Ghana before I get the mechanic to start working on it (to prevent having it dismantled and not having the pieces to them put it back together) so you are recommending that i purchase the salisbury seal and flange - I can find 3 flanges here, which one are you referring to : http://allbrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=755457&SPRACHE=EN

Thanks a lot!

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

IMG_2014 (1).JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

Great, thanks

just to confirm I understand what i need to order on paddock:

1) For the differential housing case (it doens't matter if we don't have the serial number as all the salisbury are the same?):
1x stc4403 
1x 607183 
1x 607197 

2) For the transfer box:
1x ftc4939
1 frc2464
1x frc5442
4 x frc3602
12 x bt606101l
8 x nz606041l

2 x stc1130

+ the hand brake shoes ( ICW500010)

+ the bolts I am missing in the transfer box fs108301l x 2

would it be worth doing anything else whilst I am doing these work?

Thanks so much!!!!

Simone

Edited by Wheely
more info

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heya,

This weekend i progressed with this work - but had a few challenges:

1) I tried changing also the transfer box oil seal, flange, etc - as indicated earlier in this thread. However the flange that is fitted on my landy has 2 screws on the side besides the 4 bolts - pic attached - and the one that i bought (part number frc5442) didn't have that - so I wasn't able to change it. What is the part number of mine? from the picture you feel this flange needs to be replaced or the leaking can be mainly referred to the oil seal (which I was able change) ?

2) My mechanic said that the transfer box bearing and the one for the differential housing were fine (stc1130) so he didn't replace these (nor the other part 607197 of the differential housing) - is it worth changing it anyway since now i have bought the piece or best to leave it in place until further date (ideally before it brakes and it creates issues)?

3) The bolts I was missing in the transfer box have been replaced (fs108301l) - however as you can see from the attached these are longer than the original ones - are they going to be fine or shall i replace with the ones of the same height?

Thanks a lot!!!

Simone

WP_20171021_12_59_48_Pro[2].jpg

WP_20171021_16_29_42_Pro[1].jpg