best way to clean water jackets?

Upon removing my water pump today I found the pump is nasty with crud and rust and so is the water channel/water jacket..engine has been sitting for 8 months or so and it wasn't fully drained of coolant, which I suspect has caused this buildup. Anybody know a good way to clean out all the crud and rust from the water jackets? I have the engine on a stand with head off, but cylinders and sump still in place and I'm hoping to find a good way to get the water channels cleaned out without a complete strip down of the block to have it dipped.  

Thanks mates!

As the Snagger said but the rinse/flush is the catcher, you need a good flow and heaps of pressure to make sure you remove all the crud that will fall to the bottom of the water journals and if I were you I would consider removing the existing welsh plugs at the flushing stage to give better access to all areas as well, 

I think it would be a good idea to take the core plugs out after you have put the vinegar in so that you can get a jet wash in there and allow larger bits of rubbish to come out. Also you will be able to see better what is in there.