Does anyone make ventilated rear discs?

Steve Hiatt

Guest diesel_jim

A mate of mine in the Us built a 147" truck, and grafted some vented discs onto the back axle, although i think they were US brakes, not stock over stuff.

i reckon you could do it with some defender front vented discs (as they'de fit the hubs) and graft on some calipers, but you'd need to add a pressure reducer i reckon, as they'd be over braked on the rear.

or maybe try and graft on some freelander discs? getting them to fit the LR hubs coule be a problem though, but in saying all the above, most of the braking is done by the frot brakes anyway, so standard discs with decent pads should more than suffice (in general.....)

That explains it - I was wondering, I couldn't believe that you were running out of brakes with solid rear discs.

I don't suffer brake fade with my Discovery despite its weight and regular braking from high speeds and its solid all round.

I guess that might explain why vented rears are difficult to find. I think you might be into modification or fabrication time!

H

Bearmach do them. Fitted a set to jules D2 about 18 months ago. They were vented and cross drilled

And not too much money

The rears on my Disco 2 are Drilled and groved not vented the fronts are.

what do wild cats run on the rear do you need that much cooling on th erears or is it a funky set of calipers.

very off the wall would a V6/td4 freelander front disc with redrilled stud holes not fit. I can't remeber sizes just have two sat in the garage at home and there is not much in it.

That explains it - I was wondering, I couldn't believe that you were running out of brakes with solid rear discs.

I don't suffer brake fade with my Discovery despite its weight and regular braking from high speeds and its solid all round.

You should try towing a 750kg unbraked trailer round Exmoor, then you will find out about brake fade - and smokeing brakes! :o

Chris

You should try towing a 750kg unbraked trailer round Exmoor, then you will find out about brake fade - and smokeing brakes! :o

Chris

Or

try misses navagating and RRC LSE auto with Ifor 16" trailer with a full body RRC racer and wrong turn down into a vally one a very very steep contry lane down hill for about 7 miles.

that got a little scary 1st high didn't get time to get into low :huh::lol:

BG Developments at Bromsgrove. tel:01527 873 716 they do custom stuff for AP, as long as there's a casting on the shelf that they can machine to fit they'll make it. Might be a few £££ though, but by the sound of it you're not doing an el-cheapo setup.

BG Developments at Bromsgrove. tel:01527 873 716 they do custom stuff for AP, as long as there's a casting on the shelf that they can machine to fit they'll make it. Might be a few £££ though, but by the sound of it you're not doing an el-cheapo setup.

Actually I was trying to do it reasonably cheaply, but it's not looking that way :(

My Warrior racer has RR rear discs all round and early RR calipers and I was hoping to upgrade the fronts using some Porsche Boxster calipers that I have been offered at a very good price, which require a 22mm + disc . However I don't want to be spending loads on the discs.

The Disco 2 ones are not suitable.

I think the time and money involved is going to exceed the benefit for now.

BG site is a good one, that's now in the favourites.

What's so fantastic about Porsche calipers exactly - the Boxster is only a "So you couldn't afford a real Porsche" car anyway.

My cousin has had some big calipers off of BMW's in the scrappy, I'd guess a shopping trip with a tape measure would be in order ;)

I can't afford any Porsche, let alone a real one :) Not sure I want one anyway.

The Boxster calipers are compact for what they are and beautifully made. Unfortunately the drive flanges have been machined down and are closer to the disc than standard hubs. I've tried the usual suspects of Princess and Capri calipers but they both foul the flange.