Rangie Steering

geoffbeaumont

Yesterday the rangie's steering was fine - this morning it's...not so great... :(

It's okay close to centre, but loads up rapidly as I turn it, and can be just as hard to turn back. I can't see anything wrong under the truck. IIRC that's about the right symptoms for a shot/out of adjustment power steering unit, isn't it? :unsure:

UJ's are fairly cheap IIRC, so you may aswell change them, Ive even got a couple of spares somewhere you can have if you are feeling the christmas pinch :)

Lewis

It's not the cost - it's the fact that I'm currently 25miles from home with no tools, so if it isn't safe to drive it'll be a yellow taxi job...

It's not the cost - it's the fact that I'm currently 25miles from home with no tools, so if it isn't safe to drive it'll be a yellow taxi job...

If your 25mile drive takes you anywhere near staffordshire then swing by, ive got tools, and spares if i can find them :) Its two 13mm's if you can get hold of a spanner

If your 25mile drive takes you anywhere near staffordshire then swing by, ive got tools, and spares if i can find them :) Its two 13mm's if you can get hold of a spanner

No-where near, I'm afraid - I could probably go into town and get a couple of UJs and borrow spanners, but I think it'll get me home. Looks like the bottom UJ is knackered.

Wonder if it'll last one more day...it's back off the road then, hopefully.

A dose of WD40 has improved things considerably, but it's still noticeable so I ordered what I thought were the correct parts from MM4x4. Wrong...

The UJs I ordered (NRC7704) are, I think, lower UJs from earlier Range Rovers, although I can't see any difference between them and the top UJ on mine. Unfortunately it's the bottom one that's knackered...

As far as I can see from the parts manual, the top UJ for mine ('93 RR, KA VIN) is NRC7386, but the bottom one is only available as part of the complete shaft kit NTC8478, which is about £40 (up to about £70 at some places - and that was a Britpart one, too :blink:).

Does anyone know if it's possible to get just the lower UJ?