Which PROPSHAFT???

As the title says, I know that both are the same and that the FRC  is the newer version to TVB, I also know that it needs to be a Hardy Spicer as cannot afford a LR boxed one!

My problem is some web sites are stating TVB100610 wide angle, which may be a better option? some state FRC8386 as wide angle but near double the price as a standard!?! Both Hardy Spicer so a bit confused???.......Yet a standard Hardy Spicer TVB100610 and wide angle TVB100610 plus standard FRC8386 are all about the same cost??? So do I go for standard FRC8386 or WIDE ANGLE TVB100610 (Both in Hardy Spicer) which is the better option?

Hope this makes sense to some one? any input or info and suggestion would be great cheers Mutley

Sorry it's for a 90 300Tdi 1995 with an R380........ it goes off road not serious over fields up and down hills but nothing as the big boys do....... But have noticed a few TVB100610 advertised as wide angle (Hardy Spicer) in the £90-100 VAT incl. region which seems to be a good buy? Same price as other TVB100610 (Hardy Spicer) which do not state being wide angle???

OK having spent most of the day trying to make some sense of this (a lot of time and little sense!). I have found that Hardy Spicer the name has been sold and is now owned by a company in INDIA and I have been informed that the quality is NOT what it once was, also it would seem the GKN label has travelled to INDIA as well!?! Depending where you look and who you ask???..........So making the choice of buying quality somewhat of a problem? Other than buying an original part and i'm not that rich!!!.........I have always greased my prop shafts regularly so took the plunge and bought an advertised OEM Prop off the Rimmer Bros site, I have no idea what will turn up as it does not state the OEM manufacturer? with my luck it will arrive in a BLUE bag!?!........I just find it some what annoying that reputable name gets sold and not the quality of the product with it Grrrrrr. Plus I feel some what cheated when I spend precious  time and money searching the net for a good deal on a well known and trusted brand (that once was), only to find out some time later and only by chance that it is no longer deemed a worthwhile option even by the seller!?!

Cheers all Mutley

I've just replaced the propshaft on the rear of my Td5 90 with FRC 8393, which I think is the 300tdi / R380 one?

I had the same dilemma about what make to go from, but found an ex MOD NOS genuine item for sale. It was just over £115 - so about the same as some of the cheaper options .... might be worth exploring if you can find anymore ? 

As far as I know the transfer box position is in the same position, and therefore proshafts are the same fitment, for all 300Tdi, Td5 and V8 (post-1986) Defenders. With the exception of the change to short-nose diff 'P38 style' rear axle for 110/130 during the Td5 run.

However did the front prop not change to a larger UJ joint size at some point in the early 2000s? It many explain why there is a different part number, the fitment (i.e. length, spline orientation) is the same but larger UJs? So I suspect officially through Land Rover FRC8386 supersedes to TVB100610 and you could only buy the latter, however aftermarket suppliers are still making the older type.

On Microcat he change seems to be from VIN 1A612405 (2002-ish), when the UJ number also changes (from the good old RTC3458 to the 95mm STC4807) which corroborates the above. Seems the rears never changed, though they're longer and therefore under less strain I guess.

• 1 year later...