Bosch VE fuel pump pins for 200TDi Defender engine

I've had fuelling issues for a while and managed to get the van set up reasonably with a bit of experimentation with boost pressures and fuel pin rotation (thanks vulcanbomber for advice). 

I've been looking closely at my Fuel Injection Pump's vertical pin (or boost pin) and noticed that its got an id number on the pin end - 13.

However the pump I currently have fitted is not the original pump for the vehicle, that one is sitting in the garage and I had a look at it and its pin has got a different profile and seems like a deeper ramp angle and a different number on the end - 72.

I know these pumps were used in a variety of applications and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the correct pin is for a 200tdi? Or anyone with an original 200tdi and a pump thats not been messed about with could you have a look and see if you have a stamped number on the pin end so I can try to establish which one is the appropriate one for my engine? 

Bumping this up to see if anyone has any info on the serial numbers on the end of the 'boost pins' in Bosch VE pumps. I've  emailed Bosch but not got a reply yet. 

I'm surmising (wildly guessing to be honest) that different applications of the 200TDi might use a different pin profile - so perhaps a Disco is not the same as a 110 or 130 with pin profiles varying to accommodate different vehicle weights and gearing. Although I could be completely wrong!

Absolutely! I reckon it's throwing a hissy fit because the timing belt is 5k overdue :rolleyes:

Just driven the 150 miles up to Oban, found that if I kept it at around 50mph the level hardly dropped at all. Will still spend the rest of the week paranoidily checking it every 50 miles or so though. New matrix ordered so that'll be next weekend's job now.

9 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Absolutely! I reckon it's throwing a hissy fit because the timing belt is 5k overdue :rolleyes:

Just driven the 150 miles up to Oban, found that if I kept it at around 50mph the level hardly dropped at all. Will still spend the rest of the week paranoidily checking it every 50 miles or so though. New matrix ordered so that'll be next weekend's job now.

First time my matrix exploded  and filled the cab with glycolsteam it frightened the life out of me. Still you're in Oban - there's worse places to be standing with the bonnet up!

19 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Okay, heater matrix sorted so opened up my spare pump today. Pin does indeed have a 13 on the end.

No idea of the significance of it I'm afraid. 

Cheers James. I was curious about the numbers because I have two pumps and although identical they have different pins. The pin numbers are different and the profiles are slightly different too. My presumption was that pins would be matched to application - these VE pumps are used in a variety of vehicles other than Land Rovers, such as VW's, Dodges and more - so my guess was that although ostensibly all using the same pump there might be application-specific differences depending on the engine the pump was fitted to.

Anyway having had my curiosity aroused I've done some asking around pump experts and have had it confirmed by one company with a lot of Land Rover experience that the standard Bosch-listed pin for a 200TDi application is a number 13. 

Now where this might affect me (or you) is that the s/h pump I had overhauled and which is currently fitted has a 72 pin installed which sort-of suggests that this pump although identical to my other one, is in fact off a different engine and may have a fuelling profile that's very different from that used in a Land Rover. Now whether having a different pin installed when the pump is set-up and bench tested for flow rates etc makes a difference to pump output and vehicle performance, I'm not sure. Certainly mine is not brilliant since the pump rebuild despite a lot of fiddling. 

So be interested to see if anyone else with a proper original fitment 200TDi running the original pump also has the 13 pin in it. And just for interest I'm going to try and find out what a 72 pin was originally used in.

Thanks for looking - thats helpful!

Mine is also 13 on the VE Pump on a 200TDI. On Saturday replaced the pin with a Morgan Hill one and there is hardly any torque in slower speeds takes ages to pick up but once the turbo kicks in she flys. Funny I started getting some kind of burning smell from the engine bay after a 10km run, god knows it its the boost pin change or low oil even though I had checked the oil level which was ok. The Rocker cover was super hot, but the temp gauge was right in the middle. Today tried to start the landy and she was dead. Battery totally dead. Now totally confused if the boost pin did all this.

47 minutes ago, Prith said:

Mine is also 13 on the VE Pump on a 200TDI. On Saturday replaced the pin with a Morgan Hill one and there is hardly any torque in slower speeds takes ages to pick up but once the turbo kicks in she flys. Funny I started getting some kind of burning smell from the engine bay after a 10km run, god knows it its the boost pin change or low oil even though I had checked the oil level which was ok. The Rocker cover was super hot, but the temp gauge was right in the middle. Today tried to start the landy and she was dead. Battery totally dead. Now totally confused if the boost pin did all this.

Thats for confirming its a 13 - they must be the standard right enough. Doubt the boost pin would cause your problem. Unless the sheer top end performance was epic! Sounds like something else has happened too. I tried a boost pin and had similar performance with no bottom and all top. I'd check all the usual suspects - all the cooling system stuff and ensure fluids etc are ok. How old is the battery?

Edited by Jocklandjohn

15 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Mine's got a 13 on the bottom as well , have the same thing as you with the boost pin Prith gets a bit better when she's warm but you  have to push her hard to get her to pull in the next gear but she does fly as much as a Defender can fly .

Thanks Ian. So it looks like the 13 pin is indeed the standard pin for 200tdi lumps. Still no idea what a 72 was for.

Probably, my mate used to work at a Bosch dealers so brought me the best ( fueleist) one out of his many spares and we put it in about 7 years ago. 

I cant get into the pump easy because of the OBA setup otherwise I'd have a look 

1 minute ago, muddy said:

Probably, my mate used to work at a Bosch dealers so brought me the best ( fueleist) one out of his many spares and we put it in about 7 years ago. 

I cant get into the pump easy because of the OBA setup otherwise I'd have a look 

Thats ok, dont worry. Seems the 13 was standard on a 200tdi, 300 might be a different one. Seems there's lots of variation. Be good if we could rustle up a Bosch listing with some details of application and pin numbers.