Looking for an Ifor Williams Horse Truck Body

Arjan

I know this is not for a Land Rover - but you guys get around and just maybe know about one..

image.png.e4bb148ae37a5ca5e0055de9e13531d3.png

This is an Ifor Williams Horse Truck body - and we're looking for one to go onto an Iveco Daily chassis.

IW France could not tell me if they are still being made - I'd prefer a good used one obviously.. :rolleyes:

Logistics can be sorted - no real problem there.

Many thanks !!

Thank you very much.

Just gave them a call and although very helpful, they did not have this sort of bodies..

They'd love to build me one though...

The search continues...

Nailing a horse trailer body onto a suitable medium commercial chassis cab is sometimes done with varying degrees of aesthetic success. 

One thing to be mindful of is ramp length via height of body. The increased height of vehicle chassis as opposed to the height the trailer floor sits off the ground will probably require mods to the ramp length.

Thank you guys for thinking with me on this - much appreciated !

1 - We have a 5 tonne Iveco Daily that is in good condition and the Mrs really likes to drive. The 2.8 is a very good engine and easy to service etc.

2 - It is not easy to get the body homologated in France for horse transport

2017-09-20 = Iveco with IW Horse Container # 03.jpg

3 - The Mrs. has driven an Iveco with the IW Container body and she really liked it

4 - These ramps & angles are quite workable for our horses and the railings are a nice touch (below an Iveco)

5 - The IW body is about 1/2 tonne lighter than the present one

6 - Money. Getting a body build etc. is not cheap. IW UK is a bit vague if they can still make them (to order) and what money they want for that. We're talking to them but they don't seem too interested...

Edited by Arjan

Ifor Williams are one of the worst companies I've dealt with. Rebuilt an HB510 for SWMBO and what a bleeding nightmare trying to get them to send me parts...all paid for in advance or they wouldn't send them to the dealer. Not much of a problem paying for stuff up front but having to chase them for 3 months soon wore my patience thin. 

We haven't bought an Ifor since...new cattle float was a Nuggent (much better built IMO)

Hmm..... Reading this last comment makes considering getting one build by IW not really tempting...

Hopefully we can find a suitable container for normal money. Just got a quote from a French builder to make a IW look-a-like..

Need to sit down..

Just to clarify, it wasn't just a few bits...approx £2.5k as the chassis was the only good bit left. Full set of panels, new alloy floor, axles, wheelarches and most of the hinges/bracketry. We looked at a new 511 but they are more plastic and quite flimsy compared to the older design. The good lady has Clydesdales so it needs to be quite well built!

IW blamed the dealer, the dealer blamed IW and it just tainted the company in my eyes. I spoke direct to IW over the delays and was fobbed off on a weekly basis. 

They may be completely different if dealing with a new build.....

Clydesdales - now you're talking! I used to haul my Suffolk's around in a Vans Fautras trailer which humans and equines alike found to be a much more pleasant, and quieter, experience than any IW we used. Our 7.5 ton horsebox beats both hands down though.

There should be plenty more Fautras trailers about on your side of the Channel Arjan ;) I found them excellent to deal with direct for spares etc.

Fautras is very, very good. We had ours for 15 years and it has done many, many miles..

We have one for sale.... UK any takers ?

The Mrs. prefers using the Iveco for the many miles she does with usu 1 horse

IT is just that the body is not ideal for horse transport and she'd used an Iveco with the IW Container and really liked it.

Me ?? I'd prefer to go for a 7,5 ton one from the UK - and she has an HGV licence, too - but they are extremely expensive here and a pain to get homologated when importing one..