Alps or Pyrenees help needed

eddie c

A group of us are looking to plan a trip to the French Alps or the French Pyrenees next year. We have organised trips in the UK but not abroad. We need advice on routes and lanes, places to stay, camping or hotels. What and where is worth seeing or any other advice. We understand about the spares and servicing of vehicles and are really looking for journey advice. Do you know of any web site that can offer information. We live in the North East of England so we have a good way to go before we get to tunnel/ferry.

A group of us are looking to plan a trip to the French Alps or the French Pyrenees next year. We have organised trips in the UK but not abroad. We need advice on routes and lanes, places to stay, camping or hotels. What and where is worth seeing or any other advice. We understand about the spares and servicing of vehicles and are really looking for journey advice. Do you know of any web site that can offer information. We live in the North East of England so we have a good way to go before we get to tunnel/ferry.

If you are prepared to cross over into the Spanish Pyrenees then I can help you with stuff - I used to work out there for a few weeks each summer running 4x4 holidayd to the val d'Aran region and still keep in touch with friends I made out there all those years ago ( before wife and kids! ).

My visits there are now restricted to a couple of weeks each year with th family calling in on ( and eating / drinking with ) old friends.

Brace yourself for not a word of English though apart from the few Spanish tourists from barca or the Dutch people who always speak better English than us!! :rolleyes:

David

• 2 weeks later...

There are some stunning lanes in the Alps, especially the old military tracks that take you up to the old forts on top of the mountains. Quite a few around the Susa valley (italian side).

I have some marked up on maps from when we went down there a couple of years ago, but there are loads more than we managed to do.

PM me if you want details of the routes I have.

Dan :)

You are welcome to come with us to the Pyrenees or use any information in that thread. That is the sum of my knowlege I am afraid.

There is a very friendly lady called Hillbilly Raider who frequents some of the other "less technical" LR forums who knows all about the Alps.

Chris

Thanks for your over Chris but we have decided on the Alps, so we are looking for as much information as possible on the Alps region. We were looking through one of last years LRO magazines and came accross the trip they did following the Hannibal trail, has any one done this trail? know of the lanes/tracks arround that area?

Thanks ED

We were looking through one of last years LRO magazines and came accross the trip they did following the Hannibal trail, has any one done this trail? know of the lanes/tracks arround that area?

Thanks ED

Hi ED, I drove Hannibal's trail last august from Italy back into France, it was a great drive and one I plan to revisit. The trails surface is very distinctive and I reconised it as soon as the mag dropped on my door step. We were on our way back from Italy after exploring the Susa region as recommended by Dan.

I'd also recommend looking at www.4x4valdisere.com if your french is any good. Club 4x4 des Aigles have exclusive acess to an off road course up a mountain behind Val d'Isere. Whilst our group were there we joined the club and spent a memorable day exploring all the tracks, the place is huge! Our guide also organised a buffet lunch laided on by the club outside their mountain top teepee, an excellent day.

Good luck with organising your trip, I'm off to the Pyrenees this summer.

Buzz.

We were looking through one of last years LRO magazines and came accross the trip they did following the Hannibal trail, has any one done this trail? know of the lanes/tracks arround that area?

I think that was with AlpineRovers. I remember hearing at one of the shows that the mag did not meet it's promises to them after a load of help in the making of the article - although I understand that there will be an article on them this year... One of the proprieters wife used to post on here.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all that info lads, I'm starting to put some of the info together. We're thinking about going end of May, anyone know what the weather is like that time of year.

ED

I am in this kind of mood this morning. :)

http://www.villavacations.com/piemonte_tor...tos/photo5.html

http://www.geocities.com/art4sep/italy/seg.../alp2/alp2.html

Chris