Power steering conversion

Bomag

Ive been thinking about having this sorted out, it would make the whole trialling thing so much easier :)

But, Im not a fan of the CPC kit, too much stuff hanging down screaming "RIP ME OFF" so what about using RR parts?

I know AHL have done a conversion, but Ive not had a chance to look at it yet.

How much would you pay to have someone else do the conversion for you?

i used to run the CP kit, had no problems on or off road.

personally if you wanted to use lr stuff then i'd do it yourself, there is a bit of chopping and welding req'd which imo the chassis needs tubing so its strong enough.

If you fit RR power steering, then you have to use everything if I remember right. You also need to move the front crossmember forwards 5-inches to allow fitment of the PAS box on the chassis rail. There was a topic in LRO a few years ago now, and it was very detailed.

Les.

Either chop out the frotn x-member and fit any fangie PAS box, or it is possible to fit by just cutting a wedge out of the front x-member if you use the right box.

I'm running defender steering on mine and it works well, but not for the faint hearted as its alot of work and alot of safety critical cutting and welding!

Bomag, if you're coming to Broxhead on the 27th you're welcome to come and collar me and have a look at mine.

Cheers

Jon

Cheers guys, Toyota parts can NOT be used, only Rover parts allowed. The cutting and welding are the reasons why I was going to get AHL to do it.

Jon, Im aiming to be at Broxhead, but the wifes now saying shes working so wont be able to look after the dogs :( As soon as she sorts her holiday out Ill let you know :)

Just a suggestion -

link

No cutting of crossmember.

If taking this route,you might be better off soucing a slimmer steering box (toyota,or p38 maybe).I had to fit wheel spacers to make room for the box on full lock/full articulation.

can you explain the PAS setup you have? (detail of the parts used and all connections, with photos, would be great! :D )

and I just saw that you have heated windscreens. how does that work?

can you explain the PAS setup you have? (detail of the parts used and all connections, with photos, would be great! :D )

and I just saw that you have heated windscreens. how does that work?

Have a look at TeriAnn Wakeman's article on series landrover pas conversion

link

I did much the same,but used rover parts - defender column and middle link (shortened slightly) and defender 6 bolt lhd steering box.If your vehicle is lhd,you will have to use a rhd box.

If you want more details,please ask.

Too dark and wet for photos just now.

Heated windscreen works the same as heated rear window,but with very fine wire elements.