Kenlowe hot start

Having used these units over a couple of years I'll make two points.

I will confirm the instructions when it says the pump is not very powerful. With the unit standing dry for some time the pump shaft will have probably stuck, and it won't restart just because you have applied mains power. Thus I recommend you open the unit while it's dry on the bench and just manually spin the impeller. It won't take much force, but it's more than the pump can generate. By all means lubricate the shaft bearing with something, just to inhibit it sticking again while in store, but I don't have a specific recommendation. Nothing will survive the antifreeze anyway so this is only a temporary thing.
Remember this 'sticking if not used' characteristic; it's why the instructions say use it occasionally during the summer.

Secondly, the instructions say it doesn't matter which way round the inlet and outlet pipes are connected, in relation to the flow of coolant given by the engine water pump. In practice they found it does make a difference, issuing an addendum to say the Hotstart should flow in the same direction as that given by the engine water pump. I'm not sure exactly why this should be so, as there is little time that both pumps run together (Engine running as the Hotstart is connected to the mains) but intuitively I feel it's worthwhile having both flow in the same direction, and as Kenlowe went to the trouble of issuing an addendum to that effect it would be perverse to ignore the 'advice'.

If the pump isn't rotating the coolant chamber will get very hot very quickly. A fingertip test will cause swearing, if not a blister.
If for some reason you don't want to open the unit, an alternative test is to connect inlet to outlet with a couple of feet of hose, fill with coolant, then power up.
If the hose heats up the pump is working, but do remember there is a 3kw heating element in there, you won't have to wait very long for the hose to start warming.

Good Luck.

I found the impeller stuck on my second hand unit too.  I also found a difference in effectiveness depending on which heater matrix line it was in and the direction of flow.  If you want to heat the engine, then put it in the return line from the matrix (so you're not heating air) and make sure it flows towards the head.  The worst case is to have it in the matrix supply line flowing backwards, as it will try to push the coolant against the thermostat and so will only pass coolant around the head, not the block.

I found it takes abou 30 mins to fully heat an engine on a typical winter night.

• 1 year later...

One of these is fitted to my car when I got it.. but with no cable. 

Anyone knowledgeable got any ideas? Tried contacting kenlowe.

I'd try making my own, but I have no idea, looks like a 2 pin connector of sorts to the heater unit?

The genuine cable has a plug that fits the socket at one end and a marine or outdoor circular socket with three pins at the other (with a mounting bracket and spring loaded cover).  The cable is covered in convoluted plastic for protection.  Fabricating your own lead would be pretty easy.  Just make sure the female spade terminals you use at the appliance end are well insulated and the unit and external socket are orientated to allow the connectors to drain any water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...