Disco 2: Ergonomics 101: The dipswitch

ThreeSheds

I hate poor ergonomics. I could give numerous examples, but my most current annoyance is the Disco 2 dipswitch (and I will mention the horn here too). At this time of year, I do significant amounts of driving on full beam and the ability to quickly dip the lights is very important...

The Disco2 dipswitch (for those not familiar with the Disco2) is a pull for full beam, pull for dip beam (latching) and pull for flash type. I think that the designer was fixated on pulling something... Anyway - it has the following problems:

1. If you pull to flash and pull too far the lights stay on full.
  2. If you need to dip in a hurry you have to:
    • Remember if you are on full beam (otherwise attempting to dip will in fact switch to full). This is not always as easy as it sounds on relatively quiet roads with the odd clusters of vehicles coming the other way.
    • Pull the lever all the way up and then release... Only on the way back do the lights dip. This action takes significantly longer than a push for full and pull for dip variety of switch.

My other car (an ageing Skoda) has a far more effective dipswitch with a pull for flash, push for full. This is definitely much  safer.

So the upshot of the above is that I am looking to change the switch to a pull for flash, push for full type, and I was wondering if anyone has already done it, and if so what you used and what sort of self-cancelling arrangement you ended up with? 

Oh - and I said I would mention the horn too? Well if the replacement switch had a horn button too that would be nice.

Cheers,

Roger

13 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

The Defender switch does exactly what you are describing, including the horn.

Not sure how possible it would be to make it fit though.

That's brilliant! And for £20 I can afford to scrap one finding out if it will fit... Thanks!

p.s. - the off-side-head light part of the switch will be covered by another change I am thinking of - using a rotary switch from VW (et al) which does off--side--dip--front fog--rear fog all in one easy to feel ergonomic switch

Roger, perhaps you could get rid of the shopping trolley and get a proper Land Rover. Resolve all problems in one hit.

😉

Mo

Mind you, it would probably give you a heap of new problems but, hey, that's all part of the appeal, right ? 😆