Defender engine swap

Hi looking for some advise before I get into my winter project 110 hicap that currently has a tired 3.5 V8 and hp22 auto.

The rebuilt 110 will not be doing any real millage as it's for off road fun now and again and for when we get bad snow, but this one I want to build it as a keeper and need advice on the engine / box options as I want to get it right first time around as have more than once spent time and money on building something and not quite getting what I planned for!

My train of thought as since it will be a chassis up rebuild why not replace the tired engine instead of rebuilding it and had thought about using a Mercedes OM606 or possibly a Cummins 6bt but after much research and talking to people who have done these swaps it can turn into a nightmare plus a bit of a money pit. My P38 runs a tophat rebuilt engine with the hp24 and I am looking at another P38 that has a good rebuilt engine with a strong hp24 and was wandering if anybody on here has used a 4.6 from a P38 along with the hp24 into a defender?

I have read some people go the bike carb route and others have ran SU's with some going the Megasquirt route, I'd love to hear from people who have done engine swaps on the 110 as to what pitfalls you found and was the end result worth the effort and cost....don't want to run into this rebuild blind..done that too often!! Lol

Edited by haggisbiker

The HP24 is essentially the same outward dimensions as the HP22, in fact you can fit HP24 bits into an HP22 case, so in that respect you shouldn't have a problem actually fitting it.

I wouldn't go carbs on a 4.6, unless you run a big holley or equivalent American 4 barrel style car you will be throwing away power and driveability, and and even with this, any chance of getting much more than 10mpg.

Either go hotwire efi, which is a simply bolt on from late RRC or preferably go Megasquirt, and actually have something you interrogate to see what's wrong, and then get 20mpg instead.

Bike carbs are all about revs (essentially individual throttle bodies) - when will you be over 5000rpm anyways...

Thanks Bowie69, I have seen the uprated HP22 done by the likes of Ashcrofts and understand using the Megasquirt is a sound way to go with the engine swap it's just a shame the P38 has so many ecu's as keeping the HP24 as a unit would make sense.

So that's one option of a Megasquirt and uprated HP22/24 automatic.

I was going to fit a cummins to my 110 but at the last minute I changed my mind and fitted a megasquirted 3.9v8. Glad I did as the drivability is superb and fuel consumption isn’t that bad aslong as you mash your foot.

we live in an age where efi is now within the reach of diy mechanics at an affordable price..... to be honest I don’t see why people bother with carbs now unless class or regulations require it.

it would be a shame to lose another v8 Landy 

Gotta say that I got a diesel because I'd had 2 petrol RRC's in the past... the carb'd one was great but thirsty and the EFI was a pain in the butt!

But having since discovered that you can de-Lucas an EFI they are looking more appealing... especially as Diesel is the new dirty green eco word... I've not long been accepted by into normal society having given up smoking, only to discover that I'm now baby killing scum as my cars are diesel.... I give up... anybody got a fag??:rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, haggisbiker said:

Thanks guys, I am looking at the Megasquirt option in more detail but on Megasquirt's Web page it shows near everything is out of stock, don't see much in the way of secondhand kits but will keep looking!

What exactly would you like to know? A lot of us have fitted it and may be able to help

• 1 month later...

Hi all! 

I'm new to Megasquirt and have held off putting a V8 engine in a Defender so far, but I can't resist any longer. I have a nice 4.6 Thor engine in my Disco 2 Auto. I spoke to Nigel earlier in the week with a view to dumping both in a 2001 TD5 100. He explained why the auto box was a no-go, so for now the engine will mate to the existing R380 with a few new bits from Ashcroft. I might go compushift at a later date, but it's a bridge too far right now.

I am going to order the Megasquirt full kit for the Thor engine, but am wondering what the collective would suggest I order on top. I am going to get a Jim Stim as a learning tool. 

I wonder what the views are on the 74 degree thermostat. 

I also would like to know from those who have done similar conversions what fuel pump solution they have used. 

Finally, it's not clear to me, but it seems the kit comes with used coil packs. If that's the case as I am a cry once kinda bloke, I would pay extra for new ones. 

Any and all suggestions gratefully received. 

Thanks! 

Ian

Fairly sure Nige supplies new coil packs, the only used bit will be the EDIS module but they don't fail.

Don't think the 74deg stat is necessary, it's a bit of a logical fallacy that a lower stat means more cooling.

A stim is useful for bench-testing the ECU if you have an issue but by no means essential.

I've done the 4.6 V8 + MSEFI swap on my 109 and 127, the 127 is a fairly standard Defender so that thread's probably the most useful to you:

127 V8 swap - 1st post

Thanks for the reply, FF. 

I'm removing the engine from the Disco as I type, but I will read your thread with interest. I'm tempted to get the engine running first in a frame as a learning process and also because it's something I always fancied doing. 

I've got an email in with Nige at the moment to place the initial order. When he gets back to me, I am sure there will be other things that I just must have!

kind regards

Ian