gearbox box problem

110v8

I have a 1983 110 v8 county, recently the lt95 died and after two rebuilds in 3 months gave up and fitted a lt77 and lt230 transfer box, the models are late 80's defender, I now have a problem that is baffling me, when acceleratingI hear a speed related knock from below and on overrun/ braking this changes to tinny rattle, it is there all speeds all gears hi/lo diff in and out, and in neutral when moving, to find the noise I lifted rear wheel and spun it slowly listening for noise, after half a turn the wheel locked, on checking prop shafts it seems as in diff lock had engaged all locked up, easing wheel back half a turn then forward again released it, or if I forced wheel forward it juddered several times and released, how can diff lock engage on own like that, I assume this is causing my noise. any insight /help appreciated

not the hand brake binding is it?  this usually causes  knocking on overun/slowing down, slacken right off then try it.  Surely if you only lifted one wheel then spun it, whilst in gear it 'should' lock?

Edited by Yostumpy

• 2 weeks later...

can I ask what you have done with the lt95? I'm in the market for the box, diff lock button, gearstick, hi lo stick, tunnel, floor plates, rubber tunnel cover......basically everything you took out I assume. i have 2 x lt77's here and one is an lt77s I'm told..... also have a tunnel for the lt77 if you want the correct parts for the floorpan. 

interested in a sale?

thanks wayne stevens

hello wayne, sorry but I part ex the lt95 for the 77/230 replacement, as for tunnel etc we adjusted the current to fit new box sorry, as far as I know he has box in shed probably for ever I will ask if he interested, problem with it is jumping out of high, all gears shims etc replaced with new but could not fix, we found that the high gear was rocking worn on shaft and we could not get new shaft anywhere, only change to box is that the high range gear is out of range rover much higher ratio .

ahh I see I can get hold of a box but its all the bits that go with it that are a pain to source too like the tunnel, rubber mat, diff lock switch, pipework, hi lo operating arm and gearstick, if he is interested and it has most of those bits on it get him to call/text me. 

did the pm come through with my number on?

thanks wayne

well had it to garage for mot yesterday, when doing brake test it appears the diff locked up and it jumped the rollers, he then put it on ramp to have a look and told me the diif lever on front output housing is in the full off position, but when spinning something inside it catching causing regular knocking and semi engagement, he took the lever assembly off and found the shaft all way back in off position but seized in place, could not see what was causing the problem

Hi did you resolve the previous issues you had with the centre diff locking? I had similar symptoms to what you mention in the start of this thread which turned out to be the thrust washers for the planet gears in the centre diff which had broken up and the bits were jamming up the centre diff. They are quite easy to rebuild. When you had the mot test it is not the ideal way to test the brakes  with just the front or back wheels in the rollers as this can damage the centre diff, but most testers will do this if you let them.

If the centre diff is actually engaged or not rotating freely then you will be driving all four wheels when the two in the brake tester start to turn hence it has jumped out. The mot tester did not have to test the brakes that way.