Condenser Cooling Fan constantly running

DiscoHere

Hi all 

A wonderful way to start my new year in my 2003 TD5 Disco. 

I have a small coolant leak on my engine cooling system which i can not locate just yet.  I have the system full of Coolant and will monitor over the coming days and remedy as needed,  I am guessing the bottom of the rad as i can not see any leaks.  

However I notice the condenser cooling fan on the AC system runs constantly now.  Is it likely they 2 issues are related?  Any suggestions .  

Happy New Year all

Hugh 

Hi Hugh,

Re your coolant leak - check the cylinder head core plug which is behind the exhaust manifold. This is a frequent cause of unknown water loss as it evapourates. Another thing to check is that the resevoir pressure cap is sealing. Secure a small plastic bottle over the drain tube from the resevoir and see if it collects water. If so a new cap is required and it needs to be screwed down tight.

The only thing I can suggest for the AC fan is that you may have air in the coolant system and it's triggering the fan to come on. Normally it only comes on whem really hot to help the standard viscous fan.

HTH,

Griff

• Like 1

Yes, it's a symptom that your engine has overheated and for engine safety the condenser fan has cut - in,  as designed.

Unfortunately unlike the D1 the D2 system latches therefore it needs to be plugged into a diagnostic unit to reset back to normal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miggit said:

Got to ask, does the fan always latch on during an overheat situation ? If so that has got to be one of the best buying tell tales going!!

Yes.

But then it's possible to remove the the fans electrical supply.

• 1 year later...
On 1/1/2018 at 12:51 AM, Ally V8 said:

Teabag is spot on,it has overheated. Clearing the fault memory in the engine ecu will stop the fans,even though no fault will be listed for overheating in the memory.

Hi,

I have the same issue and I have taken my car to the dealership twice and they had no idea about this issue. I got them to hook it up to the system called T4 which apparently is LRs genuine diagnostic system for the TD5. However, I tried going through the menus but couldn't find any option to turn the fans off.

If anyone here is familiar with this system, can you please guide me going through what menus will lead me to an option to turn this forced assist off.
You help is much needed and would be really appreciated!!

I am from Pakistan and the TD5 Defender was never launched here but the dealer has some experience with TD5 Discos.