Overdrive on 300Tdi 110 CSW

No time this week I'm afraid - out all day tomorrow with my parents, meeting during the day and working Wednesday night, taking step-daughter's car to have new stereo fitted on Thursday and working again on Friday.

Still it was nice to have a day off today - in the office at the moment only to get some software off the 'net to make one of the step-daughter's Christmas presents work! It was going to be a three hour download on dial-up at home :blink: Took seconds at work, but I now can't find where the damn thing has saved itself on my computer!!!!!!!! :angry::angry:

I hate technology :angry::rolleyes:

• 7 years later...

Bit of a thread revival here... but I've been thinking of an overdrive for a long time now, and keep coming back to the subject, but I just noticed the prices for them quoted here, the "roverdrive" is now £1400 pounds :blink: thats crazy they have doubled in price in 8 years.... surely you could get a custom unit made for close to that now...

• 2 weeks later...

I never expected this thread to be revived so long after it was originally posted.

A bit of an update...

The overdrive was fitted early 2007 and has done many thousands of miles since. It has been (almost) completely reliable, suffering only occasional electrical hiccups, which always seem to sort themselves out again somehow.

It must have saved me a fair bit of fuel over the years but probably won't have paid for itself that way. It does made 'high speed' cruising more comfortable though. I did a motorway trip recently without using it for much of the time due to one of the occasional electrical gremlins. The difference was incredible, much noisier and I didn't feel I could comfortably cruise at the same speeds as I do when it is working.

I am very happy with the GKN overall. Expensive but worthwhile.

• 4 years later...

Update nearly 5 years on from the last.

Still working reliably. Only recent issue has been the loss - somehow - of the grub screw that holds the cap/switch plate on.  

Truck doesn’t get much use now though. Took it out last week after collecting it from MOT (which I was amazed that it passed - again) and realised that the last time I had put fuel in it was March 2018!

It is soon to joined by a much younger cousin - a Discovery Sport. I very much doubt that I will still own that in 17 years time, or that it will still be soldiering on at 22 years old.

GH 

• Like 1