Welder recommendation

mad_pete

I’ve looked at the welder section and it looks to be all migs. With a bit of luck I will be able to buy a mig off Lewis. However at the Newbury sort out I did pick up a cheap (it was free :-) )arc welder to maybe do the one job I have at the moment. 830F64DA-6144-493C-9FA7-6CB7D0BC85AF.thumb.jpeg.6e7660c0ce6bf185ad756f6eae351d61.jpegE067F272-E932-405E-97AD-86A14F0A1FEB.thumb.jpeg.8f4dc09a9cdabe47ce28c22c1a205dc0.jpeg

not sure it works yet and Earth might need some attention but I did look into arc welding a lot more. It’s downside seems to be it’s a bit slower due to rods and you need to clean to weld but will be happier powering through rust a bit more and flux rods mean no gas required. Thermal arc 175 arc looks a good bit of kit that would also do lift tig (not quite sure what that is) in future. They seem to hold their value so maybe get one and then I’d have all the options ?  How much difference does inverter vs transformer make ? If budget is 5 to use is a nicer one maybe 7 or 8 out of 10?

My welding experience is zero so learning to do on whatever. 

My current job is a 4mm weld tab back on the bulkhead.

104607B1-79C3-46FE-8B82-6FEBD09240AF.thumb.jpeg.872c4bf366e1b058fc40b81ff39dfb55.jpegwill the budget arc do a reasonable (or even poor as long as it holds) job and where is a good place to earth to for the bulkhead ?

I have one identical to that....and it is great! OK it will never do thin welds but I have used it loads for all sorts of repairs to machinery and general fab work. Only issue I find with it is it its difficult to get it to start an arc without the welding rod sticking to steel you are welding when it is not warmed up. Once that is done it is fine.

People may scoff but you would be surprised what a relatively inexperience person can achieve with a stick welder and some thick ish metal

7 hours ago, mad_pete said:

And it was in the skip because ..... you liked it so much and it worked so well? :-) 

In fact it did work when i skipped it, but i had a mig and needed to clear out. Bit nostalgic as i bought that from local Halfords when i was about 16, take care of it ;)

Okay HoSS I have some bad news the adjuster was seized and no amount of persuasion would convince it otherwise.

I did get the Thermal Arc and would rate that 8 or 9 and the weld mate a 5 although that’s only quick review. The weld mate was much more difficult to get going and being unable to adjust didn’t help. Thermal Arc very smooth and able to put down functional welds relatively quickly. I’d recommend it.

Replying to the three in one welding question I've had a 3 in one Jasic for about 8 years or so got it from China it does DC tig Arc and Plasma its been dropped a couple of times but it never misses a beat would buy another one tomorrow if it broke hope this helps.