Which metal for bulkhead repair

Hi guys, not been on in a while..... that’s a good thing right? 

So the dreaded bulkhead usual suspect seems to be gathering pace on my landy..... it’s also got a slight hole on the A pillar just below the mirror. So I’m very scared of going in but it needs to be done before it goes too far.... so this weekend I’m going to rub down and investigate further. It will for sure need a patch I reckon so what metal is best? I’ve seen these.

https://yrmit.co.uk/product/bulkhead-repair-panels-per-pair-land-rover-defender-series-23/

but unsure about the A pillar section. 

Thanks in advance 😊

I’ve done a few repairs on mine with 1.5mm plate cut to size.

I would have no hesitation trying YRM’s stuff though, have bought many parts from them over the years and all have fitted well. I think I’d go for the full vent panels if you have any rot across the top front, that way it avoids the fiddly welding around the vent aperture.

https://yrmit.co.uk/product/lhs-bulkhead-full-vent-repair-panels-land-rover-defender-series-2-3/

I’ve bought the floor section from YRM before and happy with that. I think (and hope) that when I rub down the corners the smaller repair panels will be enough. 🙏🏻 Have never done this before so hence the worry a tad. Looking through some YouTube videos I’m now better aware of what’s under it all. 

If there's a complex shape pressed into it (EG the recess for the bulkhead vents) then I'd buy a repair piece, if there's just a hole or it's mostly bits that could be made from flat shapes then I'd just a bit of 1.5mm-ish sheet, or the nearest abandoned Zanussi if you're being frugal :ph34r:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If there's a complex shape pressed into it (EG the recess for the bulkhead vents) then I'd buy a repair piece, if there's just a hole or it's mostly bits that could be made from flat shapes then I'd just a bit of 1.5mm-ish sheet, or the nearest abandoned Zanussi if you're being frugal :ph34r:

Other washing machines are available :P Just don't tell the wife! 

I bought the YRM footwells and the top corners and the quality seemed good. They certainly look great fitted. I will admit I didn't do the work myself as I decided my time was better spent working on the custom bits while Devon 4x4 did that bit for me.

• Like 1

Thanks guys so far, here’s a wee pic of the area, apart from the hike on A pillar, the rest looks as if it’ll rub down and maybe a patch? Other side looks like it’s been done before with Galvi 😊🙏

7FD2E9D9-731B-4044-AB2B-927322885F63.jpeg

ok here’s how it’s looking, thoughts? Rest of the pillar seems good. Behind the wing the bulkhead is going a tad bit not too bad. I can see behind the dash board a bit that look about to go.... 

ABEE9CB0-D169-4496-8208-34C45FC720B6.jpeg

71CD1AFC-2A1F-4086-9057-8351789A3603.jpeg

BD4A8833-2D97-466A-ADD1-2131581EA61B.jpeg

Depends really, if you're after a quick fix that'll last a while until the next bit of rust shows through, or a long-term repair that will last for years?

Looking at the state of the top bit, you're going to have to remove that wing to stand a chance of doing anything useful, and I'm willing to bet the wire brush in the grinder will find a lot more rust than what you can see there.

Hi check under the windscreen hinge as well.

The YRM panels look the business, when I done mine it thought about doing the panel as an over lay after cutting out the rot and welding around them on a low setting. You will see the welds but if they are tidy it will be spot on. 

Ok we went for a repair the now, to stop the rain etc from accelerating it.  So I know it doesn’t look pretty (but I kinda like it rough ooooo errrrr) but it’s a heluva lot better and the riveted patch was indeed hiding another bit of rot so that’s been taken care of for now..... 

I’ll tidy it up a tad when I have time 

3C390DB7-8E35-4AAA-92DC-B2AE968D579A.jpeg

87F7E46A-52E4-4F3D-B0B3-1001F102E820.jpeg

52AAB23F-F1AC-4CB3-875F-D9B058ED1686.jpeg

9EAAFFE3-BFC5-48F7-BC6D-D3AF93E30E45.jpeg

Aye Fridge the flappy discs are awaiting their job..... as you say, solid for now. All set for our adventure north east of scotchland near end of June. If anyone is knows of any nice places for 3 respectable  🤔 Land Rover owners to camp and have a braw fire. Suggestions welcome. We’re head up to Pennan 😊👍