Cheap Chinese stereo heads

Gazzar

7 hours ago, cackshifter said:

Could you not feed through a diode, into a large capacitor, and on to your radio. There are I believe 1farad capacitors about. As the current is small, it would bridge the gap while you start.

I think I understand that. One way valve into a tank?

If I knew I could see the display from the drivers seat, I'd get one of these:

https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/car-stereos/alpine-ute-200bte-747174.html

I think the Chinese units, though better in some respects, wouldn't last, nor produce enough sound.

You shouldn't need the diode if you put the cap as close as possible to the radio. Any diode will need to be rated to handle the maximum current the radio can take regardless.

I don't think you need to worry about visibility Gary. My experience is most of the time the problem is actually dimming them down enough for night time use.

I think Mud sell a decent quality low profile radio with everything you want. It's cheaper elsewhere but you can find the part number from their website.

41 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

You shouldn't need the diode if you put the cap as close as possible to the radio. Any diode will need to be rated to handle the maximum current the radio can take regardless.

I don't think you need to worry about visibility Gary. My experience is most of the time the problem is actually dimming them down enough for night time use.

I think Mud sell a decent quality low profile radio with everything you want. It's cheaper elsewhere but you can find the part number from their website.

They've a JVC unit. £180 ish. More than I'll spend, to be honest. Does look nice, and the hitch camera idea appeals.

The website doesn't like my phone, so I might have missed summit.

I think I'll try the alpine unit. If I can see the display I'll be fine.

3 minutes ago, cackshifter said:

The diode would just be to stop the cap from feeding other circuits, if there are none, as Ed says you don't need it

The permanent live feeds from the battery/starter/alternator. Would the capacitor break any of those?

48 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Would the capacitor break any of those?

Not a chance!

On second thoughts - how old is your battery. The battery is a massive capacitor but they do drop quite low when cranking in order to deliver the currents required.