Clunky gearbox

Hello guys, I have recently purchased a 2008 Landy defender tdci 6 speed gear box. When I’m shifting through the gears and go back on the gas I am hearing a clunking noise, I’m worried that it might be a problem with the gearbox, if anybody can give me some advice on this matter I would be grateful. Many thanks

Tony

Hi Tony welcome to the mad house  , have you brought just the gearbox or have you brought the Land Rover tdci with a 6 speed box ? If the former did the old box clunk ? But I’m guessing it’s the latter , if so I’d check the uj’s on the propshafts and  then check for play in the drive flanges on each wheel 1st .

cheers Ian 

I have a similar problem on my TD5. Had a look the other day and the rear diff seems ok. The P.O. had already replaced the halfshafts and flanges but the rear prop also looks a bit dry and has some sideways play in the splines of the sliding section. I’ve ordered a new one to at least eliminate that. Other causes can be worn suspension bushes so it’s overalls on time and go for a trip down under to check everything.

Yes, it's a dry adaptor, it worked so well with the R380 that JLR used the same technique for the 6 speed (sarcastic).

Still, it's keeping Dave Ashcroft in business, there's a modification kit on their website.

G.

If it’s a 90, fit a pair of 300tdi rear halfshafts - that will probably cure half the clunk.

The other half is likely to be the adaptor shaft as above. I have the Ashcroft adaptor kit but haven’t ever got round to fitting it to my TDCI yet!