Turbo

Simon_CSK

Blew the turbo on the Disco last weekend but fortunately had two spare. Fitted one and that seized very quickly I think becuaseit had been sitting outside. 

Now have the other one ready to fit but there is a very slight play in the shaft. Now do I fit it and get one of the others reconditioned or do I get this one reconditioned?

I don't have a clue how long it will last as it is.

Ideas please

On 11/10/2018 at 8:20 PM, ballcock said:

I would recon one of the others. The one you have may last for a while as it is.

I got speaking to my neighbour this evening. He is an aero engineer and one of his work mates recons turbos on the back shift. Chances are I will get the bearings replaced before I install it.

15 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

did you change the oil feed to the turbo when you fitted the replacement turbo? im assuming you did an oil & filter change at the same time?

Changed the feed pipe from the bottom of the engine. Having never refitted a turbo before and being short of time and trying to avoid the dark I just cracked on. Lesson learned.

10 hours ago, cackshifter said:

And fill the turbo with oil before fitting the feed, check oil comes out of the feed by cranking before fitting it, and crank it over for 30 secs with oil pressure before allowing the engine to run.Check the drain is working too. Plus what Mike says.

Which is the feed pipe? The top one? Certainly will do this now that I know it needs to be done.

Thanks for all the replies

On 11/12/2018 at 8:41 AM, cackshifter said:

It seems overkill but here are Turbo Technics fitting instructions link, it does make you wonder how manufacturers do it when the engine is being built.

Guess I didn't do any of that. Maybe why I seized the replacement turbo. As they say more haste less speed.

The turbo with the slight play has been refitted.

All surfaces were cleaned with acetone before refitting. Everything bolted together fine and all leaks were sealed. New oil and filters fitted. Cranked over without starting and lifted oil up through the jubillee connector before bolting that together and starting.

Car started fine and ran. The turbo was whizzing round

Now did I miss anything.