Need help 90 defender 1983 3.5 v8 missifre

Hi all I new to this forum but I’m calling on the v8 guro

for the last 4 years I’ve been renovating a defender 90 1983 which had been converted from diesal to a 3.5 v8 with twin strombergs 

so for a while the car would start on crank and then die turned out to be a faulty coil and module on the dizzy 

Know the car is running but it smells very rich out of the exhaust but it popping and banging under acceleration around 3.5k I have stripped down and cleaned the carbs new diaphragm etc I found dirt in some of the different passage ways cleaned all that not all of a sudden it misfire when acclerating I’m trying to get this through a mot as it my friends car 

The engine is a 1983 with unknown mileage the person that built this was a good engineer, not a good mechanic as he used the diesal wiring loom, and to say it a mess is a understatement 

thank you for for any help 

6C990224-4068-467D-80A3-3B6FBB5B7A01.jpeg

Edited by Teenager2413
Spelling mistakes

Teenager2413, that sounds annoying. Have you checked the sparkplugs and the HT leads? I understand the HT leads, if not routed correctly, can cause mis-fires through jumping between the leads. There is an article in the technical archive on V8s and HT leads. Let me know how you get on! Assume you have checked the distributor cap and connections etc?

Check you have the leads in the correct firing order

Put a timing strobe on each lead while engine is running so you can see if each plug is firing

Check points gap is correct

Check the vacuum advance is connected and suck on it to make sure the plate moves inside the dizzy.

Check the dynamic timing

3 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Check you have the leads in the correct firing order

Put a timing strobe on each lead while engine is running so you can see if each plug is firing

Check points gap is correct

Check the vacuum advance is connected and suck on it to make sure the plate moves inside the dizzy.

Check the dynamic timing

It has a electronic fizzy and th module on the side has been replaced recently