2.5L Diesel vs. 2.5L Petrol

Thommo55

Not quite, the upper water gallery was changed a bit, I think, on the TDI 200. And, of course, they fitted a couple more bearings in the 1970s. But  just tweaks, not a redesign.

So, i think the 2500 is almost a drop in to a series 3, metric to Imperial aside.

1 hour ago, skirky dave said:

I may be wrong here but wasn't there a lot of positives said for the 2 litre turbo Prima Perkins engine from the MG. I'm almost sure there was a few rave reviews a few years back.

Anyone know anything about this conversion ?.

The Perkins "Prima" was basically a dieselised version of the old Austin/Morris/BL O-series engine (which was itself an OHC conversion of the 1950s-vintage B-series lump).  Usually found in first-generation Sherpa vans, Montegos and Maestros. Noisy (it was a first-generation direct-injection Diesel without benefit of anything like dual-stage injection to tame the rattle) but tough and economical. They were a popular 'Series'  fitment in the 1990s when you could pick up a MOT-failed Maestro/Montego for £50 - but those days are long gone.

Some history of the B-to-O-to-Prima engine evolution here:  https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/morris/marina-ital/engones-o-series/

Edited by Tanuki

3 hours ago, skirky dave said:

I may be wrong here but wasn't there a lot of positives said for the 2 litre turbo Prima Perkins engine from the MG. I'm almost sure there was a few rave reviews a few years back.

Anyone know anything about this conversion ?

I had one in my S3. It was the most awful, stinking, gutless piece of garbage I've ever had the misfortune to set hands upon. A conversion I instantly regretted; I hardly drove it for three years. Then I put a V8 in and I'm happy every time I get behind the wheel. 

If you're going to enjoy driving it, my take would be this: don't bother with an asthmatic diesel. 

Bowie69.....Wow , that's some engine and a nice tidy installation, but a tad above my expertise i think. Always enjoy reading a new project. iI suppose it starts to get expensive when you take into consideration the R380 box, intercooler, etc etc. plus i do have a soft spot for the Red and Yellow levers. Bet that was a beast to drive.

Cheers for that.....good read.

Tanuki.....seems the montego engine was pretty good compared to the 2.25 Diesel, but although an interesting conversion, that 220 turbo is something else. even with the turbo taken off it looks as though it would suit a series box very well.Would love to see a n/a version in a series.

It has to be said, that, i have a lot of admiration, for anyone who's willing to grab the bull by the horns and try something different. The sheer time, effort, not to mention the expense.

The trial and error and above all patience. I feel i'm getting a little too long in the tooth to even contemplate these ideas, plus i can't really afford it. I also think a good understanding in mechanical engineering helps. Some peoples understanding of it all on here is mesmerizing.......However i admire from a distance.

That 220 turbo engine does look a peach though. Wonder why they didn't carry on with it ?.

39 minutes ago, skirky dave said:

Just that, according to the read up of that engine, ( project Tomcat  ) i thought they may have used it in the land rover 90 as a stop gap if you like before the 3.9 efi, or have i got that wrong.

No, I think you have your wires a little crossed, the Lightweight was running that for a long while, the Tomcat is something else the Hobbit man brought into the thread :)

You don't NEED an R380, or even an LT77, given the 200TDI will bolt up to the LT77, R380 and the series box, I have little doubt that the T16 will bolt up to the series box, you would just need a different clutch plate as the gearbox splines are different. All doable though.

Aargh , my fault, typical!!.   I think i would be a little worried about all that torque going through my series 2A box though. i know people do it but i have heard of a few horror stories of the gearbox going bang, AND TRUST ME, the  luck i've had lately.....it probably would. If you get the chance, have a look at that Perkins Phaser on youtube. Also...the Big Purple One, Cummins 6BT, got to love the sound of the larger diesels. The pulling power must be immense.