clutch slip

1989 110 fitted with full 300tdi and r380 gearbox using all standard parts. . my clutch slips if weight of boot on clutch pedal, so when i changed gearbox i fitted another clutch and its still the same if not worse. 

changed master cylinder, slave and hose made no difference. 

master i even adjusted it to pull pedal down so return spring would pull rod back  

also tried with nuts loose and still the same  

loosened slave bolts right of to check if any pressure held against slave and all good. can push slave back into box easy by hand. 

have loosened bleed nipple and fluid drips out so not holding pressure anywhere

now stumped 

any suggestions appreciated 

Edited by Tim2809
missing details

Did you replace the pressure plate as well?

I was having problems with my clutch slipping recently but on fitting a new one the old friction plate was hardly worn, it was slipping due to the springs in the pressure plate not applying sufficient clamping pressure.

On 12/28/2018 at 3:03 PM, Tim2809 said:

also tried with nuts loose

Commendable thoroughness.. anyway I believe there are 2 release bearings only slightly different in size, so maybe you have the longer one, and should have the shorter - we recently had someone on here with the opposite problem. It sounds like the clutch parts themselves are fine, so you are just missing a bit of clearance - that has to be the fork or the bearing, I can't see how anything else can affect it. 

If the main gearbox is a proper Defender spec R380, the clutch release bearing should be FTC4177, now UTJ100210,

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/133759/0/clutch_release_bearing___defender

its approx 10mm shorter than the FTC5200 bearing/carrier, I made that mistake a while ago & my 110 kept slipping, the shorter bearing cured it.

2 hours ago, western said:

If the main gearbox is a proper Defender spec R380, the clutch release bearing should be FTC4177, now UTJ100210,

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/133759/0/clutch_release_bearing___defender

its approx 10mm shorter than the FTC5200 bearing/carrier, I made that mistake a while ago & my 110 kept slipping, the shorter bearing cured it.

its a disco 300tdi with disco r380 and ashcroft selector adapter. 

9 hours ago, cackshifter said:

Better have a read of..Link

had a read. interesting but mine is not a stumpy r380. so confused even more. 

im pulling engine out now so will see. 

im going to takee slave off and measure rod protrution   before splitting and try and measure where bearing sits and see it its restricted 

engine out and measured. pushrod protrudes 25mm out of slave hole. 

bearing has about 40mm of clearance at rear so does not appear to be binding. 

old gearbox had pushrod of 95mm length. replacement has 105mm rod. 

flywheel has no groves or high spots. 

checked finger height on clutch before removing and bolted to spare flywheel and both same height   

bearing face to slipper pad approx 35mm

many thanks for all your suggestions so far. 

from hunting around i found i have the correct bearing and pushrod. 

i made 1 clutch up out of the 2 of the same make i have and initial feel is better. cannot get it to slip when trying to pull away with footbrake applied so fingers crossed 

i mo longer have clutch slip but if i do press clutch pedal abit more than riding the clutch it will slip. 

main thing is it wont slip and fully engages/disengages 

thanks everyone for all help and suggestions 

by rights i should now be bald

• Like 1