RRC Heater upgrade

Laptom

I have a 86 RRC with the old 2-speed heater in it. Now that the fan is broken I want to use this as an excuse to upgrade to a more modern heater (as the 2 speed high speed is medium effective and there is no heat out of the middle vents (only window or feet heat)). 

I've found a good 3-speed (plastic one) which mechanical fits, so that is ok. Now try to figure out the wiring. The cable going into the fan is a 4 wire loom. I would expected to be a 2 wire one, so a bit puzzled. Is the heater resistance inside the motor with these 4 wire loom motor (I also received a separate heater resistor (with 5 wires ??) . 

Has anybody a good wiring diagram available? I have 1 from the Hayes manual, but that one is for the first 3-speed version and not for a later one...

• 3 weeks later...

The 1970 - Oct 1992 RR Haynes workshop manual is quite comprehensive with  electrical wiring diagrams. The fan speed is controlled by the slider switch MXC5705, “potentiometer” is the LR description in my RR parts catalogue and was fitted to my 1997 RR which may have been 4speed, your 96 model may the same but that was a change over year between carb and EFI.

Yes the heat from my vehicles heater was very poor (compared to the cars I was driving at the time) from the day I drove it from the from the LR showroom and for all the 10 years I had it. 

The middle dash vents only were fitted with the AC system, my RR didn’t have AC so no middle vents.

The best heater would have been the 4speed one as is fitted into the later RR, which was on called and badged Classic, also fitted to the 300 series disco and the disco 2, but would require the require the complete removal the front part of the dash

Edited by teabag

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply! 

Still fiddling around. I have found a wiring loom for the heater. Still need to try it. I have the plastic heater and it fits in the 1986, so that is OK. Now find some time to get it to work. 

Still would love to find a good wiring diagram. The Haynes manual diagrams are "meuh" at the best...

On 2/5/2019 at 2:03 PM, teabag said:

The best heater would have been the 4speed one as is fitted into the later RR, which was on called and badged Classic, also fitted to the 300 series disco and the disco 2, but would require the require the complete removal the front part of the dash

And I think (having had both types of dash out - but some time ago), also modifications to the bulkhead. At one time I purchased a softdash (as fitted to final couple of years of RRC) dash with the intention of fitting it to my '93 RR - in large part to get a better heater and vent ducts that were properly sealed - but in the end decided to stick with the original. Partly down to ergonomics (the softdash looks good but controls are not positioned as well as on the previous version), but mainly because I realised it was a bigger job than I'd anticipated. There were various areas I'd have had to modify to fit the softdash, but I'm fairly certain the area around the heater was one of the more significant ones. The heater box is a different shape and has the water pipes through the bulkhead in different places. I didn't look into fitting the more modern heater box within the older dash, but I doubt that would work - very happy to be proved wrong on that one, though!

• 2 months later...

Thanks all. 

Still not found the proper diagrams, so if anyone have something?...

Geoff, not talking about the Softdash, that is indeed a complete different type of bulkhead and heater. 

The classics also had a change between the 86 and 87 modelyear. The pluggings are the same, but the control is completely different. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 7:57 PM, Laptom said:

eoff, not talking about the Softdash, that is indeed a complete different type of bulkhead and heater. 

The classics also had a change between the 86 and 87 modelyear. The pluggings are the same, but the control is completely different. 

They were only badged "Classic" in the final run-out (after the P38 was already on sale - guess they were just shifting existing stock), so as far as I'm aware all the vehicles that left the factory badged as such are soft dashes. '86/'87 is years before they were badged classic. 

On 6/20/2019 at 1:33 AM, geoffbeaumont said:

They were only badged "Classic" in the final run-out (after the P38 was already on sale - guess they were just shifting existing stock), so as far as I'm aware all the vehicles that left the factory badged as such are soft dashes. '86/'87 is years before they were badged classic. 

Soft dash RRCs were built well after the introduction of the P38.  It wasn’t using up stock - LR just had severe reservations over the P38 when it was launched and kept the RRC line open a few more years in case the P38 flopped.

On 5/22/2019 at 4:58 AM, Laptom said:

Does somebody perhaps has a wiring diagram of a 90-94 model on pdf or digital?

Thanks

It's called RAVE. the ETM is freely available if you search.

Size prevents it from being uploaded and shared.

Also, there is a ballast resistor 'upgrade' available which uses more modern alloy-heatsink versions of the resistor. I think it was a BA part, a couple of guys down here have them in their RRC's. You could easily make one using parts from mouser/farnell/digikey etc a soldering iron and a spare piece of alloy you have laying around.

the blowers aren't great, but if serviced they are 'quiet'. and in mine, they are quite powerful (MY92 / oct 1992 built).

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2019 at 5:48 AM, mercguy said:

It's called RAVE. the ETM is freely available if you search.

Size prevents it from being uploaded and shared.

Also, there is a ballast resistor 'upgrade' available which uses more modern alloy-heatsink versions of the resistor. I think it was a BA part, a couple of guys down here have them in their RRC's. You could easily make one using parts from mouser/farnell/digikey etc a soldering iron and a spare piece of alloy you have laying around.

the blowers aren't great, but if serviced they are 'quiet'. and in mine, they are quite powerful (MY92 / oct 1992 built).

Thanks,

I will take a look around for this. I have a resistor, but not a lot of confident in that block of rust ;-) . 

I will check rave on the internet and see if I as a digibeet can find something.

Btw, the Haynes manual is not accurate on the newer model years. The +'90 version is different than stated in Haynes, but it is a good basic.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:08 AM, Laptom said:

Thanks,

I will take a look around for this. I have a resistor, but not a lot of confident in that block of rust 😉

I will check rave on the internet and see if I as a digibeet can find something.

Btw, the Haynes manual is not accurate on the newer model years. The +'90 version is different than stated in Haynes, but it is a good basic.

https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PRC8010