Maxtrax Alternatives

Don Del

Anybody out there with experience of the Britpart lookalike for the Maxtrax sand track? The Maxtrax units are eye wateringly expensive at the best of times but by the time you add approximately 150% to get them shipped and customs cleared to where I live (La Paz, Bolivia) it is hard to swallow. The Britpart units are more reasonably priced but........????

Cheers,

Del

• 2 weeks later...

But...n

4 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

GRP Waffle board

Sand ladders

Wooden plank

But....no substitute for having the right tyres and not getting stuck in the first place?

I've no idea what the "right" tyres for sand are, or whether either of the ones mentioned by the OP are any good, though, so I'm not going to be any more helpful...

I made my own waffle boards out of parts of a sheet of fibre glass flooring for a water board job a friend did exactly the same stuff waffle boards are made from but no cost to me other than cutting to size may be cheaper to see if you can source some of this flooring and buy some off cuts

Regards Stephen

I would also go waffle board, just because it's more versatile and can be used for bridging, as a ramp, jack base., card table.

If you drive correctly on sand though with appropriate tyres, air down at the right time, it's just more extra baggage you don't need. 

23 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

But....no substitute for having the right tyres and not getting stuck in the first place?

But that doesn't look bling hung on the side of your truck ;)

It amazes me that so many overlanders (especially US based) seem to consider Maxtrax an essential piece of kit, whereas I'm not sure I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've seen them used in anger to any great effect.