EDIS 8 and all that?

minivin

When I get a mo and find it I'll scan and post up the EXACT Magnecor order form I used complete with all 8 plug lead lengths which would then fit with your version of me bracket your copying (please don't paint it Ornage :lol: )

Nige

Erm.... evolution me thinks... :rolleyes:

Cheers for the most exellent location idea ;)

Orange.... na.... a nice shade of zinc yellow passivate... bugger that.... paint it orange and call it the 'extreme coil pack mounting kit'..... lol.... should be worth at least 100 quid each !

Cheers,

Andy

Since I'm feel'in rather generous..... aka 1.5 bottles of white wine later.... here's a .jpg of the bracket if anyone wants to have fun with a jigsaw. The red line is the bend line and I've not added bend allowance as it'd press it square. Suggest that you make out of 3mm m/s or what ever's lurking at the bottom of the scrap bin.

The pitch across the top of the water pump is about 40mm so you'll need some 33mm spacer turned up otherwise add the 33mm to the top of the bracket for the back one. You can't split the difference and have one universal lh/rh bracket as the coils will hit the aircon/alternator belt.

BTW, haven't made one yet, so not 100% that it'll even line up... hic hic.... :D (Part incorrect, so removed)

Cheers,

Andy

I'll be running the MSnS with direct coil drive but have aligned the VR sensor with the 5th tooth at TDC to give compatibility with EDIS, should i switch to this in future.

Hi Tom,

So, looking from the front of the vehicle with the engine at TDC and counting clockwise from the TDC mark/pointer I have 5 teeth, missing tooth, 5 teeth. This bring the 5th tooth before the missing one (as the engine rotates) right between the two mounting bolts on the timing cover as per your picture. Correct with yours ?

Cheers,

Andy

post-504-1168715199_thumb.jpg

post-504-1168715214_thumb.jpg

Hi Andy,

I followed the diagram here: MSnS Manual - Wheel Decoder but aligned the VR sensor with the 5th tooth (for EDIS compatibility) instead of the 9th. As it turned out my bracket is 7 degrees out (causing 7 degrees retardation) so will need to elongate the bracket holes (for the moment, i'm correcting for this in software). The triggerwheel was pre-drilled with 12 holes (giving 2 choices for alignment)

From what i understand: the position of the missing tooth relative to the VR sensor is critical

However to get the best/easiest sensor mounting position the position of both the VR sensor and wheel (if both rotated at the same time) can vary.

Tom

Hi Andy,

I followed the diagram here: MSnS Manual - Wheel Decoder but aligned the VR sensor with the 5th tooth (for EDIS compatibility) instead of the 9th. As it turned out my bracket is 7 degrees out (causing 7 degrees retardation) so will need to elongate the bracket holes (for the moment, i'm correcting for this in software). The triggerwheel was pre-drilled with 12 holes (giving 2 choices for alignment)

From what i understand: the position of the missing tooth relative to the VR sensor is critical

However to get the best/easiest sensor mounting position the position of both the VR sensor and wheel (if both rotated at the same time) can vary.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Looking at that then, mine is in the wrong position. It needs to be rotated so the tooth that is aligned with the TDC pointer is aligned with the VR sensor. Correct ?

Cheers,

Andy

The sensor must be aligned with the gap 50 degrees ahead of TDC (for a v8, for a 4 cylinder it's 90 degrees). The easiest way to do this (IMO) is to put the engine at TDC, then count round 5 teeth ahead of the sensor and locate the missing tooth just there.

I'll be running the MSnS with direct coil drive but have aligned the VR sensor with the 5th tooth at TDC to give compatibility with EDIS, should i switch to this in future.

Hi Tom,

So, looking from the front of the vehicle with the engine at TDC and counting clockwise from the TDC mark/pointer I have 5 teeth, missing tooth, 5 teeth. This bring the 5th tooth before the missing one (as the engine rotates) right between the two mounting bolts on the timing cover as per your picture. Correct with yours ?

Cheers,

Andy

Chris,

So is my setup right ?

Cheers,

Andy

Hi,

Here are a few more pics of trigger wheel bolted up to the bottom pulley and refitted. As you can see you can only get one 5mm spacer to fit otherwise the trigger wheel is too far back. Just enough room too, to refit the mud sheild for the seal as well. More pics to follow once I get all the lasercut parts back next week. Also decided to mount the EDIS module to the side of the pedal box with a bracket. This is not handed so would fit either LHD or RHD 90's etc.

Cheers,

Andy

post-504-1169068220_thumb.jpg

post-504-1169068235_thumb.jpg

post-504-1169068241_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Got my laser cutting back today and have been trial fitting it. Found that the support brackets for the coilpack mount were a little out so they got cut & shut. Was an ideal opportunity to try out my new TIG welding set and I'm rather pleased with the results. Here are a few pics of the coil pack assy and the cut parts as they came.

Cheers,

Andy

post-504-1170086257_thumb.jpg

post-504-1170086265_thumb.jpg

post-504-1170086272_thumb.jpg

post-504-1170086280_thumb.jpg

post-504-1170086389_thumb.jpg

Yes it's not ideal if the coil packs get wet but the ford packs are gloriously robust and the plugs seal pretty nicely to keep water out. That said I have seen a couple of corroded pins on coil packs but that's really only been on cars that have had some really nasty generic plug leads on them and judging by the looks of the leads it's taken a good few years for them to corrode noticeably. I guess perhaps 1% of coil packs that I've seen have been corroded.

If you're at all concerned though shove a pea sized blob of vaseline into the towers before you connect the leads up, the terminals will push through this and still get a good connection but it's a real belt and braces thing.

Forgive my thickness, before I start! :ph34r:

I know EDIS is considerably more waterproof than normal dizzy's etc.

Putting the coils above rotating pulleys, which will happily spray any incoming water all over them, is surely a bad thing??

:enters spitfire, waits to be shot down: :lol:

I thought exactly the same thing! The Gen 1 coil packs & boots look very well sealed but I thought about pressurised water from the viscous fan when wading. After much pondering and not wanting to put any mounts through the plenum, I drilled and tapped holes into the bulkhead made angled brackets for the coil packs & capacitor (a huge thing I got from Maplins) to sit in so they are just behind the plenum. Downside is I need slightly longer leads so will ask Magnecor to do a custom set.

Forgive my thickness, before I start! :ph34r:

I know EDIS is considerably more waterproof than normal dizzy's etc.

Putting the coils above rotating pulleys, which will happily spray any incoming water all over them, is surely a bad thing??

:enters spitfire, waits to be shot down: :lol:

These packs have a lip that makes for a virtual waterproof connection, I have had huge amounts of ice cold water over it and no effect, I have pressure washed it for 30 mins pre top end strip down, water everywhere, turned key and sat ticking over.........

Magnecor leads do help

Nige

Hi all,

Got my laser cutting back today and have been trial fitting it. Found that the support brackets for the coilpack mount were a little out so they got cut & shut. Was an ideal opportunity to try out my new TIG welding set and I'm rather pleased with the results. Here are a few pics of the coil pack assy and the cut parts as they came.

Cheers,

Andy

So, Andy how much for a set of those nice laser cut brackets? going to produce them?

serously, i'd buy it

So, Andy how much for a set of those nice laser cut brackets? going to produce them?

serously, i'd buy it

Strangely enough designing up coil pack brackets for both single and twin coils was to be my job for this week/next as they're something that people have been bugging me to do and add to the product range for a little while now. Sensor brackets are also on the cards but they're a little further down the list of things to do.

Andy, do you want a chat offline as I want to make sure I don't tread on any toes.

Chris