Spare tyre rim

A friend has purchased an ex- electricity board 110. It's got BFG Mud Terrain 265/75R16 tyres in reasonable condition on three corners and a very old and worn Cooper Discoverer STT M/T 265/75R16 on the fourth.

All the tyres on the vehicle are on matching heavy duty steel rims. He was given a Boost Alloy with a (badly perished) Michelin Latitude 205/80R16 tyre as a spare.

(Yes, this was from a dealer, no it's not worth arguing with them since he's had the vehicle for more than.a year now.)

My plan is to purchase two more BFG 265/75R16 MT/s and fit these to the rear axle and buy another suitable steel rim to put the worst of the three existing BFGs on as a spare. The Cooper tyre will be scrapped and the Boost Alloy will go on e-bay.

Am I right in thinking 265 tyres need 9in wide rims, and if so does anyone know a good place to get one from?

Any other comments?

Hi Nick , ive just had four BFG 265/75/16 AT2 fitted ( many thanks to the members who have posted reviews ) with the writing on the inside I hasten to add . My spare was an embarrassment so I bit the bullet and bought a 7x16 modular , load rating 1050kg , from Craddocks and had the best of the original tyres ( 265/75/16 Traction track Insa Turbo ) fitted as a spare . Hope this is of some help .

265/75R16 on 8" steel rims is the maximum size tyre for this rim.

This is the combination I have on my 90 on all x4 corners and the spare......Modular 8" steel rim £40 from most reasonable 4x4 outlets obviously you pay more for a wolf rim, but then it is what it is!