SRS Defeat

WesBrooks

Hi all,

I'm using the drive train from a range rover classic for a project. I've recently removed the air bags and now the hazards are permanently flashing when the ignition is on and I'm having difficulty starting it. I Suspect the missing srs system is interlocking the fuel pump.

Any clues on how to defeat this interlock so I can move the vehicle around a little easier?

94 Range Rover Classic soft dash V8.

Thanks!

I'll say just in case... Dont go measuring the resistance of an airbag, they take a strong 12v to trigger, but i wouldn't want to risk it with a meter (unless you put it on a long lead down the garden)

By the way if one is careful you can have some great fun with airbag guns ;)

• Like 2

He he, I had considered replying with a message saying I promise not to resistance check the airbags! 😄

On another note after studying Rave I can confirm I've been a dickhead...

Doesn't look like the theft system does much to prevent starting other than interlock the starter. My starter was fine, so I suspect that that bit is already looped out on mine - since it came to me with no fob. Regards the flashing lights this was probably due to the interior sensor being removed. I can see how to defeat that.

Back to the dickhead comment. Who'd have known the fuel pump feed goes through the multiblock connector top left of the windscreen...

Meh...

Lets see if I can make it breathe again a little later.

• Haha 1

Thanks. Passenger side on the engine side of bulkhead just under the bonnet on this softdash.

Fairly certain it's the multiplug as I'd disconnected it! 😄 This was in advance of stripping the loom from the roof before syripping the roof off.

Trying to keep the circuits that I may use on the kit functional. No need for windows, central locking, factory immobiliser, electric seats, heated windscreen, etc. Long list of removabke bits.

For the record there's a six way connector under the dash, under the column coming out of the loom near the fuse box that has a posative supply looped on the srs side of the plug. It appears all you need to do is have this loop in place and the SRS lights won't illuminate.

This is not an MOT bodge as the lights should come on and extinguish. But it is useful for project cars that have six point harness and no airbags.

Edited by WesBrooks

On 4/11/2020 at 9:19 AM, HoSS said:

I'll say just in case... Dont go measuring the resistance of an airbag, they take a strong 12v to trigger, but i wouldn't want to risk it with a meter (unless you put it on a long lead down the garden)

By the way if one is careful you can have some great fun with airbag guns ;)

Planned for the ones I have from the P38 :popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emotic

• Like 1

I got a Merc steering wheel about 30m in the air ;) And the cylindrical guns, stuffed into a steel tube, can fire a candle projectile through a surprising thickness of cardboard boxes.

But ffs, take care if you play with these things...