rear trailing arms

Holyzeus

I guess the advantage is that a bent bar is still fairly strong whereas a bent tube loses much of its strength and really needs to be replaced immediately - look at a track rod that has been bent and then straightened again, they are very weak and easy to bend again.

would tubular ones be stronger then? just asking as i cant recall hearing of anyone bending them on a 90 when i know of several bent ones on RR/Discos

You have Know.

Me

:D

ixi8.JPG

if you look at the drivers side trailimng arm it is bending and after this event was replaced.

would tubular ones be stronger then? just asking as i cant recall hearing of anyone bending them on a 90 when i know of several bent ones on RR/Discos

Yes, the tubular ones are stronger. It is not uncommon for the solid ones to bend if reversing fast down a steep slope and the brakes lock and the tyre suddenly grabs traction on a 'grippy/bumpy' bit. The axle tries to twist under the landy and an arm bends. The tubular ones seem to be less prone to this type of damage.

Regards,

Diff

i know all about that problem Diff, thats why i replaced my early thin radius arms off the disco with the later thicker ones. both sides looked like this & all id done was loose traction over a crossaxle & roll back 5-6ft without even that much power on.

post-785-1168274286_thumb.jpg

oh i was over joyed to have to strip the remains of the prop off there then get winched up the rest of the way - it was a couple of years ago before i got my own winch. back then i was still practising getting stuck enough to need a winch. the bits looked even more broke after taking them off.

post-785-1168275670_thumb.jpg