ZF auto fitting

Bigj66

What’s the best technique to ensure the torque converter doesn’t disengage from the pump splines during fitting to the engine?

At the moment the TC is bolted to the bellhousing by means of a transport bracket but this will need to be removed prior to fitting. 

834EC608-D95E-4A21-A353-2AE7D0CEF313.jpeg.2cac230cb8d0dd1144edf5b3e7112d6c.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

If done horizontal, it shouldn't. Once fitted, there should be a small gap between flex plate and converter, assuming you have that, all good :)

Ok cheers. I don’t need to prime the TC with ATF before installing the box do I? Just fill it up once everything is bolted up?

Are there any bolt holes in the bell housing that would allow you to hold the TC back with string or a length of wire?  Could you drill and tap a couple of holes to fit screws as blanking plugs later?

There’s no holes and I’d rather not drill any if I’m honest.

I’m going to be lifting it in by hand so I think as long as I keep it nose up to stop the TC from sliding off the spline then it should be okay. I had seen something in the past about using wire or zip ties but can’t find anything and I’m not 100% sure that was for a ZF anyway.

All going well the box will be in tomorrow if the kickdown cable gets here 🤞

I always want to keep the tc fixed for as long as possible, being a bit paranoid about the tc slipping out. The bracketin the photo  looks neat and if you keep that in place until the last moment, measure the depth of the tc below the mating face before you remove the bracket and then remeasure before starting to bolt it up you are fine. Also stop if you sense any resistance to "sliding in". I once had forgotten to remove the bushing in the crank nose used in manual engines when converting to auto. I stopped in time when i felt resistance but were very nervous until i could test drive it...

good luck!

T

7 hours ago, Tobias said:

I always want to keep the tc fixed for as long as possible, being a bit paranoid about the tc slipping out. The bracketin the photo  looks neat and if you keep that in place until the last moment, measure the depth of the tc below the mating face before you remove the bracket and then remeasure before starting to bolt it up you are fine. Also stop if you sense any resistance to "sliding in". I once had forgotten to remove the bushing in the crank nose used in manual engines when converting to auto. I stopped in time when i felt resistance but were very nervous until i could test drive it...

good luck!

T

Thanks. It went in today after a bit of a fight but I’ve yet to bolt up the torque converter to the flex plate so 🤞🤞

Once the torque converter is bolted to the engine should I still be able to turn the engine over by hand?

Its an empty box at the moment just been fitted onto the chassis so no running engine.

Is there supposed to be a gap between the flex plate and the TQ feet when installed prior to bolting?

Should the TQ slide towards the flex plate when the bolts are tightened?

22 minutes ago, Bigj66 said:

Once the torque converter is bolted to the engine should I still be able to turn the engine over by hand?

Yes, as you need to be able to tighten all 4 bolts, so it needs spinning.

Is there supposed to be a gap between the flex plate and the TQ feet when installed prior to bolting?

A very small one. If too big, you're probably missing a spacer somewhere.

Should the TQ slide towards the flex plate when the bolts are tightened?

1mm or so, yes, wouldn't want the flex plate/crank to do the sliding.

• Thanks 1