Pads sticking to discs on disco

My front nearside brake pads have been sticking to the disc for some time now...resulting in an annoying 'clack' whenever I start to move.

However, whenever I get up some speed it is also pulling to the left. Given that I have fitted new bushes all round along with shocks and springs I am happy to rule that out (It was also pulling left before new bushes).

My theory is that the pad/disc is causing resistance on that side. Is this likely? I also have quite a low fuel consumption (around 21mpg...its a TDi) which I always put down to my driving style :blink: but even doing 75 down the motorway for hours resulted in a similar figure.

So...Is this all a symptom of the pads/disc, or is something more sinister at work? If it is the pads/disc, how can I sort it out? New calipers?

If it really is the pad then the 1st questions are:

- Is it worn down so much the anti-squeal spring is pushing it against the disc?

- Is that wheel hot after a drive? (If it's having that much affect on the vehicle the disc/pad will be bluddy hot after a blat down the M27)

- Have you proved the clack is coming from where you think it is? Jacking a wheel up & trying to spin it should result in a clack. Taking the wheel off and looking at the pad whilst trying to turn the wheel should show you too.

If it IS the pad, then my money would be on a sticky caliper.

If it really is the pad then the 1st questions are:

- Is it worn down so much the anti-squeal spring is pushing it against the disc?

- Is that wheel hot after a drive? (If it's having that much affect on the vehicle the disc/pad will be bluddy hot after a blat down the M27)

- Have you proved the clack is coming from where you think it is? Jacking a wheel up & trying to spin it should result in a clack. Taking the wheel off and looking at the pad whilst trying to turn the wheel should show you too.

If it IS the pad, then my money would be on a sticky caliper.

please explain how this works. :)

please explain how this works. :)

If you take the wheel off, and point your eyes at the pad, then turn the disc, you may observe that the pad will move with the disc (should it be stuck) and produce the aforementioned clacking noise as the pad hits the limit of movement and frees off. If it's not, you won't. ;)

If you take the wheel off, and point your eyes at the pad, then turn the disc, you may observe that the pad will move with the disc (should it be stuck) and produce the aforementioned clacking noise as the pad hits the limit of movement and frees off. If it's not, you won't. ;)

i was confused as you said take the wheel off and turn the WHEEL whilst watching the pads :)

Well, I did wonder how turning the wheel when it wasn't on the vehicle would help...

Yes, it is hot...didn't get too good a feel cos it was pi**ing with rain and didnt want to touch it. Could certainly feel heat coming off it though. However, it was quite similar to the other side.... :blink:

Ill have another look when it is a bit drier.

take the pads out, or the disc off, drive it and if the noise is still there it wasn't the problem :huh:

practical yet somehow lacking a certian something considering modern HSE attitudes.

my bet would be the pistons in the caliper are rotten/covered in cack & sticking so the pad cant get free of the disc properly. maybe take the pads out, pump the pedal a few times, clean the pistons, push them back & replace the pads.

%*&*&^$*£*"*^%%$%"$^%"$^%$"%^"$%^$"^%!!!!!!!

Ok, fitted nice shiny calipers. It no longer continuously pulls to one side and takes much longer to slow down, however, once set going in a straight line if I go over a bump the steering shifts and it wanders off to the left!

You can actually feel something wobbling around on the steering. I know there is some play in a steering joint somewhere...and that is next on the fix list...but any ideas why it still wanders off left? Oh yeah...it still clicks when moving off after taking up drive...although it is a slightly different click and doesn't always happen.... :huh:

I have checked bearings, swivels etc...

The camber of the road means there will be a natural tendancy for the vehicle to wander to the left. This will be greatly exagerated by any slack in the steering or many of the suspension bushes (eg panhard rod, radius arms and trailing arms). If you know that you have play in the steering you need to fix it and move on from there.

If the tracking is out, it will contribute to the pulling to the left.

Regards,

Diff

Having just done 120 miles down the motorway, I can report that it is soooooo much different to drive! Did around 30mpg (with a windsurf board on the roof) and had no trouble at 70-75.

It also seemed to wander to the right on occasion...so ill just put it down to the steering joint. Could also be the cause of that annoying click....

Thanks chaps!