Centred diff on rear axle... drive line vibes ?

On 7/28/2020 at 4:06 AM, bishbosh said:

Any benefits to being centred? I suppose you get equal clearance and interchangeable 1/2 shafts but the downside is it doesn't line up with the front diff so will plough its own furrow?

It looks neater.... and I don’t need a truss to mount the top link brackets onto. Half shafts will still be unequal due to the offset of the ring gear but with 1.5” 35splines its a non-issue and can’t plow furrows in rocks 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 1:14 AM, landy_andy said:

It looks neater.... and I don’t need a truss to mount the top link brackets onto. Half shafts will still be unequal due to the offset of the ring gear but with 1.5” 35splines its a non-issue and can’t plow furrows in rocks 😉

Can still aim your diffs next to a rock. Bit harder to do when they're not in line.

13 hours ago, elbekko said:

Can still aim your diffs next to a rock. Bit harder to do when they're not in line.

99% of North America trucks have a centred rear diff & offset front....if it really becomes an issue....we’ll, it’s just an excuse for bigger tires 😉

• 2 months later...

I've been in a few vehicles with patrol Y61 axles behind an Lt230, 

Some have had drive train vibration on overrun badly, some haven't at all. That's more to do with unequal UJ angles (diff pinion vs t box angle) than lateral offset. 

That being said I'd aim for moving the diff closer to in line if possible, as its less kind on the UJ's etc 

We've flipped a few Y61 rear casings to give a RH drop instead of the very slightly LH drop as standard, and added trussing and full bolt on LR mounts. I'd highly recommend doing this. Get your measurements right and the original shafts fit in, just on the other side. 

IMG_20200828_120302.thumb.jpg.094edc35f820924d40dab96f201f7e2d.jpg

Different axle yes, but you might be able to apply that theory to your 609 casing, to get it more in line. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 1:24 AM, landy_andy said:

Almost at the point of getting the axle tubes made for my custom 609’s for my D100” build. Was wondering if there was anyone here running a centred diff and were drive line vibes an issue ?

Thanks !

As long as the outputshaft from the TC and the input shaft from the diff are (near) parallel there is no issue (when angles are resonable of course).

The drive shaft doesn't know that the offset is in the vertical or in the horizontal plane (or both). 😉