High voltage problem, OneTen 200tdi

Hello.

I got a 200tdi 1984 defender. Sometimes when driving (not sure exactly why or when, but I think it might be when accelerating, makes sense to me) the volt meter (Got a madman setup) jumps to 17-18V and stays there for 10-20 seconds. Last time it was accompanied by a loud squealing noise. Sounds like a slipping alternator belt, or failing tensioner, but wouldn't a slipping belt give lower volts not higher? 

Just realised the truck has a low constant screaking noice as well. But If its the alternator bearing that should result in lower volts...  not higher.

Any suggestions to what's happening...? Im getting tired of placing the lightbulbs every month.

Edited by isbjorn

Cool Car. I got an '83 OneTen with 200tdi as well. But my generator is pimped

Maybe there are two problems. 17-18 Volts normaly can not occour with a working battery. The bat pulls the voltage down.

Prob1: Battery is gone and allows higher voltages at high currents

Prob2: Voltage regulator in the gen does not switch off, which is causing the slipping belt and the noise

but maybe only the tension of the belt is low

Edited by Sigi_H

The voltage variation that you are seeing is exactly what we had with our 300TDi when the fault was the diode pack. It is a very cheap fix of around £10 and with ours the alternator was left in position. There is a thread somewhere on here I think that describes how to do it.

The key part is when refitting the new pack, the brushes have to be held in the up position to allow it to be put into position on the alternator. This is done with a paper clip pushed through a tiny hole, which is there for this very purpose. Once over the rotor, the pin is removed and the brushes spring down into the contact position.

Edit: I hope this is the same alternator as yours...

Edited by Peaklander

1 hour ago, Sigi_H said:

One Ten with electronics? 🙂 ... ok, I forgot the Radio ...

Pretty much anything electrical can be damaged.  It sucks when you need to start replacing everything electrical in the vehicle. In addition to the high voltage, it is most likely pumping high voltage AC into everything.

Being in Sweden, he is sitting on the battery.  It is not fun when one explodes and catches on fire.  There is nothing like a battery box full of hydrogen.

Edited by Red90

14 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

One Ten with electronics? 🙂 ... ok, I forgot the Radio ...

Never had one!

12 hours ago, Red90 said:

Being in Sweden, he is sitting on the battery.  It is not fun when one explodes and catches on fire.  There is nothing like a battery box full of hydrogen.

I would never dream of driving a LHD Land rover.

16 hours ago, Peaklander said:

The voltage variation that you are seeing is exactly what we had with our 300TDi when the fault was the diode pack. It is a very cheap fix of around £10 and with ours the alternator was left in position. There is a thread somewhere on here I think that describes how to do it.

Ill check it. Thanks