Series 3 wiring puzzle

MagicMatt

I’m just in the process of restoring my series 3. Fitting a new loom to it and reached a point where I haven’t the foggiest idea where these wires go. Any help would be appreciated. The first wires are positioned on the loom near to the brake and clutch housings. I’ve taken the wires for the brake earring lights across and to the resistor for the glow plugs and appear to have these left over. 

the second one is on the main engine harness and I haven’t worked out what to do with that one yet either but I’ve circled it in red

CE4E66EE-BEAC-4FF8-B1D8-7C1F4FC3417A.jpeg

88D52271-B85C-437E-8A4A-EFC140637661.jpeg

Let's start with the easy ones: black wires are always earths, so it's just a question of finding somewhere on the engine, inner wing or bulkhead that they'll reach, cleaning the area of paint , and using an existing or new bolt of the right size, with nut and washer if required.  Use a smear of grease or, better, vaseline on the connections.

Is item No 1 a twin (male + female) plug and socket? If so, the plain green will be a fused connection controlled by the ignition switch, and the green with brown tracer (shown as G/N on a wiring diagram) will go to the reversing light, if you've got one. The twin connector will either plug directly into he reversing light switch or connect to another short loom thence to this switch.

The white wire to a single connector (if that's your Item 2) looks as though it has an orange tracer, but it's more likely a brown tracer, in which case it will connect to the oil pressure switch and to the warning light on the dash.

Kevin

I think the heavy white wire with orange trace is for the glow plugs, via the resistor in a steel bracket on the bulkhead if you have the original 5v type series connected plugs, or direct to the harness across all the plugs if you have the retrofit 12v parallel wired plugs (much better).

It was the type of connector that made me think that Item 2 was more likely to be for the oil pressure switch.  The wiring diagram I've just found in the Repair Operations Manual says that the glow plug last stage is yellow with a brown tracer.  Orange doesn't seem to have been used at that time.

Shame the OP couldn't have spared us a few more words to describe what we are looking at.  What's a "brake earring light"?

Kevin

I remember a white wire with orange trace inside the dash of my 109.  It had a white in-line fuse holder.  I can’t remember whether it was for the hazard lights or a the cabin heater fan, but I think it was the latter.  It may have fed the dash switch before it split to the two wires to the motor.  Not sure if that was standard or not - it may have bypassed the main fuse box to prevent an unreliable system from blowing fuses to more important and reliable systems.

Hi Guys, thanks for all the help on this, i'm pretty sure from what youve been saying that the white/brown is to the oil pressure switch, that matches up with my thinking,

the Green, Green/Brown circuit is still baffling me though

Im reaching that stage in my restoration, you'll all be pretty pleased to hear, where I'm jumping up and down screaming "Fuc**ng Land Rover, why can't they just do a manual for everything without leaving out all the Optional Equipment"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Everyone reaches this stage don't they?