P300 engine tappy ... I'm worried Advice please.

P300 SE 1 month old.

My engine sounds a bit tappety (in old money) and I was wondering about experience of others with the P300 engine? (Defender or any other LR vehicle).

At low revs (<1500rpm) or tickover I can hear a distinct, if you'll pardon the description, 1in4 tap. Not injector tick, but the sort of tappety sound my Dad's Ford Sierra would have made when a  single cam follower gap was too big.

I fully appreciate  cars use hydraulic lifters, but when the bonnet is open it sounds only slightly quieter than my  old 2016 Evoque diesel. The engine runs fine  and smooth during normal driving.

It sounds like it's coming from near the top of the engine rather than a deeper crankshaft knock.

And it makes little difference if engine is cold or 50 miles hot.  Oil level fine. Is this almost-diesel tap typical of this engine? 

Have you tried to get a look at another vehicle to have a listen, in instances like this I always try look for something to compare it to, as it could be just a characteristic of the engine - that's where I'd be going first off before starting to worry.

Thanks all. Yes, it can be picked up on video inside car and under the bonnet. It's almost as tappy as a diesel.

Maveriik, yes wise; I'm taking it back in on Monday for a sharp-eared technician to listen to. I'll try and find a similar vehicle at the Dealership to compare.

They're having it for a couple of days as the much-hyped Pivi-Pro system has gone bananas. Navigation got stuck for 4 days, touch-screen intermittent, voice ignores me more than the Mother-in-Law and the Emergency LKA doesn't like facing the sun when it's raining. I suspect it'll merely get the 'IT Department' easy fix; reload the software.

In fairness, it's a lovely drive but I fear this infotainment problem will be an ongoing pain. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...