Defender 300Tdi gearbox/clutch issue

I have a 1996 110 with the R380 box, which is an Ashcroft replacement.  It worked well until shortly before Christmas, when it developed a problem.  It came on very suddenly one day.  It had been fine, we parked up to go shopping, came out and couldn’t select any gears with the engine running.  Engine off, clutch down, into gear and start engine again was the only way to get going.  On the move, gearchanging is possible with care and a bit of graunching.  To select reverse, engine off, select, start and then can move.

Clutch biting point seems unchanged, but with the clutch down on the floor, you can feel it dragging.

Master and slave cylinders have both been renewed to see if one of them was the cause.  No difference.

The truck is fitted with a Red Booster clutch servo, but I can’t imagine that is contributing.  Servo assistance is unchanged.

My local garage can’t assist any more.  They have run out of ideas and can’t get it high enough on their ramp to pull the box off.

Any thoughts as to what could be at fault?

Many thanks

Gordon

I had a similar problem that turned out to be the metal structure of the friction plate breaking up. A piece had snapped and I think was jamming intermittently. It definitely sounds like a clutch issue though to me.

Thanks both. Looks like a new clutch is needed.

It’s been a while since I have posted on here.  I drop in from time to time without logging in.  The old red heap is still going and has been treated to a new battery along with new wheels and tyres this year. It has also been tickled with a welding torch for the first time to get through the MOT in December. The rear crossmember had just too many holes to pass. Not bad for a 24 year old Defender which has never had any sort of chassis protection.

I will look at getting it booked in for a replacement clutch to be fitted.

Hope you’re keeping well Ralph.

Take care.

Gordon

• Like 2

Not used MID before. I won’t be able to do it myself due to lack of time, equipment and ability so may well give them a call.  Thanks.    I need to get it sorted and back on the road sooner rather than later as otherwise it will just sit neglected again and not move for months.

Cheers.

Gordon