ive now got to the stage of choosing  tyres for the new build i have decided to go for insa turbo special trac as used them before and found them good but was wondering what size most of you trial lads or lasses run a few told me to go with 205 others say 225 or 235 80 16 so any feed back would be great thanks 

1 hour ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

What are they going on? What will they be used for? And on what sort of terrain?

its going on a 88 inch ccv trials with defender 1 axels will be used only for trials the terrain could be any thing from rock to mud to forest 

I think it’s hard to find metric tyres with more than 85% ratio, so 205/100 isn’t likely to be an option.  205/85 is going to be a bit small a diameter for ground clearance, though the width would be good.  235/85 is a good size for Defenders, but may be little wide for an 88”, so I’d look at the 225/85s.  But you’re probably better off trying to find some 7.50s, which are a standard size for the 88”.  That will keep the steering light and will give the correct footprint for the best compromise of off road conditions.  Those old Imperial sizes have square section profiles, ie their height is the same as the tread width, so they give the best height for the narrowest tyre.

A lot of guys still run 205's, although there does seem to be a growing trend to go with bigger wheels. The 205's might limit you with clearance at times or if there are deep ruts. But smaller tyres might turn better.

Over the years I've found I like narrow tyres over fat ones for trialling in the UK. So I tend to go for more of a 7.00 x 16, 7.50 x 16 or maybe a 235/85R16

I also understand the Simex copies (Insa Turbo!!!) are popular. Although personally I'm not really a fan of them. I'd go for a good set of diamonds. I think a few people are switching to diamonds these days too.

Got a few mates who are running these in 235/85 on their 80" CCV motors:

https://www.fedimatyres.com/en/4x4/4x4/maxi-grip

Diamonds in a 7.50 size seem hard to get currently. I had some blackstars which worked well:

https://black-star.fr/en/produit/venezuela-4/

But I can't find any for sale at the mo.

11 hours ago, Snagger said:

I think it’s hard to find metric tyres with more than 85% ratio, so 205/100 isn’t likely to be an option.  205/85 is going to be a bit small a diameter for ground clearance, though the width would be good.  235/85 is a good size for Defenders, but may be little wide for an 88”, so I’d look at the 225/85s.  But you’re probably better off trying to find some 7.50s, which are a standard size for the 88”.  That will keep the steering light and will give the correct footprint for the best compromise of off road conditions.  Those old Imperial sizes have square section profiles, ie their height is the same as the tread width, so they give the best height for the narrowest tyre.

many thanks that has helped alot 

• Like 1

235-85 R16 will run at just under 32” (31.7” to be precise) - I originally ran some 215-85 R16’s which everyone thought were too narrow but, in reality, were cracking tyres that would cut through the mire and get some decent drip whilst also giving a decent turning circle.

The 215-85 R16’s will give you a tyre size of 30.3” so not quite so much clearance under the diff...

10 hours ago, LiftedDisco said:

235-85 R16 will run at just under 32” (31.7” to be precise)

That will depend on the brand and possibly even the thread. An agressive remould like the Insa Turbo in 235/85R16 is likely to be over 32".

20 hours ago, LiftedDisco said:

235-85 R16 will run at just under 32” (31.7” to be precise) - I originally ran some 215-85 R16’s which everyone thought were too narrow but, in reality, were cracking tyres that would cut through the mire and get some decent drip whilst also giving a decent turning circle.

The 215-85 R16’s will give you a tyre size of 30.3” so not quite so much clearance under the diff...

thankyou very much how ever insa turbo dont do a 215 or 225  so maybe need to look at dimonds  or maybe another type

10 hours ago, Escape said:

That will depend on the brand and possibly even the thread. An agressive remould like the Insa Turbo in 235/85R16 is likely to be over 32".

thankyou for your reply never thort tyres could be so complex

2 hours ago, biffer4240 said:

thankyou for your reply never thort tyres could be so complex

Aah yes, many hours of debate to be had over tyres, preferably in the pub with a good pint (or 2). 😉