I got an idea but probably

I think I just wait till I find the right one needing a chassis ect everyone assumes the chassis has reinforced everywhere its not . I email manufacturers before I built mine thinking the same.  Mine is 150% thicker without any reinforcement. I think that these  vosa ect checking peoples cars ect is because someone stuck them in , or there going to shows and some jealous person seen or checked the reg and its come up with say a 90 and its a 110 . People are like that 

1 hour ago, andy _1 said:

I think I just wait till I find the right one needing a chassis ect everyone assumes the chassis has reinforced everywhere its not . I email manufacturers before I built mine thinking the same.  Mine is 150% thicker without any reinforcement. I think that these  vosa ect checking peoples cars ect is because someone stuck them in , or there going to shows and some jealous person seen or checked the reg and its come up with say a 90 and its a 110 . People are like that 

In the current climate with the number of them going missing its also another way it will get picked up. They'll most likely look at it as a ringer then which I imagine would be a painful process to get back from them.  

On 3/4/2021 at 11:29 PM, andy _1 said:

So, you think illegally registered vehicles are a good thing?  With the the amount of ringing going on, especially stolen Defenders, and the amount that owners lose when their car is stolen and the risk posed to the public by badly modified or reconstructed vehicles, proper registration and regulation is critically important.

The problem with having a vehicle on a "questionable" registration and having apparent modifications, could as you say be someone reporting it and creating problems but more seriously if you are involved in a serious accident (it doesn't have to be your fault) with people injured or even killed the Police (and your insurance company) are going to go over the vehicle very carefully anything not standard WILL be picked up and potentially brought up in court where you need to prove it was good, safe and legal. If the insurance company get a whiff it might not legally be the vehicle they insured they will disclaim and that's just the start of the problems. This has happened, there was  well publicised case a few years back where this happened, I don't know the fully details of what happened there but there were "issues" with the vehicle (110 station wagon I think) which featured in the court case.

If you are picked up in a vehicle which is decided is NOT the vehicle in the documents then you can face charges of no insurance, tax, and MOT, this happened to someone I was at university with, to be fair it was a ringer, he switched the plates from his dead vehicle to another that was same make, model and colour as his but with no MOT (it was better than his though which did have an MOT!), he was almost certainly reported by a neighbour. 

I can't see the quality of the workmanship for the pictures but looks go so going to assume it is fully up to scratch, but can you prove it, qualifications etc. By buying from a reputable company you can move any blame of something not being up to scratch with the defence that you bought it in good faith from a known company.

My own 90 is rebuilt on a new galvanised chassis and has lots of modifications which are all declared to the insurance company and in the case of the engine change registered with the DVLA, so not against doing a rebuild just make sure it is fully legally covered. 

• Like 2

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with building your own chassis per se, and as long as it is the same construction/type as the original then it will likely be fine for vehicle ID purposes. If you’re confident in your design and welding ability - which Andy clearly is - then why not? It would be a good topic for the Special Builds forum where chat around IVAs etc. is not allowed, specifically for this reason.

I’m all for sensible testing and regulation processes, but we should be careful not to forget how much freedom we enjoy in the UK regarding the modification of vehicles. Many enthusiasts in much more heavily regulated parts of the world would love to be able to manufacture their own components, change engines, suspension, wheels/tyres etc. easily and simply like we can. It’s a difficult line to draw.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

I can't really see how building your own chassis would be any different to buying one off the shelf. It's a replacement chassis.

I'd like to see a thread of its assembly.

Mo

It shouldn’t be, if the quality is good enough.  That should be determinable by an inspection, which would be required either way for such a change.  The point was the OP’s view that correct registration, and thus inspection, were unimportant and that those people with concerns about ringing and illegal vehicles were petty meddlers or (quote) jealous.  That is not a realistic or healthy view.  Most people are concerned that vehicles are safe, not stolen, and correctly assessed and registered so that the authorities don’t come down with a blanket ban on all rebuilds and modifications.

• Like 1