Front LH Halfshaft Surprise

Cchase

Working on The Tramp this week and found this little surprise waiting for me.

No wonder the wheel wouldn't turn when the hub was locked!

The teeth on the inner end of the halfshaft look fine, but I guess I need to have a close inspection of the diff?

Series 3 LH Halfshaft from The Tramp.jpg

7 hours ago, Cchase said:

Working on The Tramp this week and found this little surprise waiting for me.

No wonder the wheel wouldn't turn when the hub was locked!

The teeth on the inner end of the halfshaft look fine, but I guess I need to have a close inspection of the diff?

Series 3 LH Halfshaft from The Tramp.jpg

Wow thats not good ☹️

On 3/6/2021 at 10:28 AM, Cchase said:

I have a Stage 1 parts donor. Is there anything to prevent me from using the halfshafts, 'knuckles' and stub axles from it (and brakes) on the 109?

Thanks,

C

Why not use the whole axle? I have a feeling they might've gotten 4-pin front diffs - the Stage 1 are higher ratio for nicer cruising too but you'd have to swap in the back axle too to keep the ratios matched.

As John said, it may be better to swap the whole axle over, though I wouldn’t recommend the 3,54 diffs unless you have a significant engine upgrade.  You should be able to swap the diff with the existing axle, though.

I’d be very wary of the current axle.  It looks like the UJ yolks have been smashing against the swivel pun bearings or Railko bush housing, so they may also be damaged, and to have come into contact with those, the shaft must have been flailing, so the swivel housing and stub axle bearings must be shot to pieces.  You have a lot more than just the shaft to replace.  Pretty spectacular, though.  

• Like 1