Experiences with the DVLA 'rebuilt vehicle' process

I have a habit of asking questions that have already been asked repeatedly, but I am specifically after the thoughts/opinions of people who have been through the process or the similar DVLA hoops. Most interested in where the pitfalls in this process so I can make it easiest for both sides - I am not looking for advice on how to bypass the system, or for discussion about IVA/SVA.

As I move towards completing my rebuild, I need to get the paperwork sorted with DVLA. It is clear from all that I have read that my vehicle is most definitely rebuilt but not radically altered. For those who don't know, I took a fairly-original yet thoroughly beaten up 1988 V8 90, stripped it completely and did a complete 'nut and bolt' rebuild onto a brand new galvanised chassis but modernised much of it using various newer parts.

Points wise I am not too worried:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/rebuilt-vehicles

A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

• the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van) - N/A
  • a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van) - new Richards chassis to same specification as original (but galvanised)

You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.

For cars or light vans:

• suspension (front and back) - All replaced with springs, Superpro polybushes, shocks, so while standard spec, not original.
  • steering assembly - Steering box, shaft, column and everything down to the axle is original
  • axles (both) - on P reg Disco 1 axles, so no. (blew up my front axle and replaced with an RR 10 spline many years ago, wanted the rear disc brakes so made sense to swap as a set)
  • transmission - LT85 and LT230
  • engine - 4.0 out of a Range Rover, so no.

All in, I have a chassis, steering assembly and transmission so just squeaking through. I am assuming the transmission and steering box are original to the car - who knows what happened in the 20 years before I bought it. The bodywork is a mix of a TD5 bulkhead, TD5/200tdi front end, original tub and floor plates, TD5 dash and 300TDi roof and sides. It's a real mix but doesn't impact on the points, just general 'originality' is not there any more.

I was going to send off for the colour change and engine change on the V5, which is where some exprience would help. Is it better to declare those two things on the V5, wait for the change and then submit the rebuilt vehicle form, or should those go straight onto the rebuilt form? DVLA is like any other Government department where making it simple for them will get the best result. Give opportunity for mistakes by making it complicated, and they will never disappoint to disappoint.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/278783/V627X1_270913.pdf

What the website doesn't really go into is what happens next. I assume if it doesn't read like a simple rebuild, they will want a ful inspection (or possibly an IVA but trying not to mention that in this section...). I also understand they will want to see receipts for the new engine and an engineer's report for fitting it - I did that myself and bought it on eBay 10 years ago so no receipt. I have done almost everything myself except for the brake pipes, so I don't have an engineer's report - but could get one if required as a mate who is a mechanic/MOT tester is going to look over the whole vehicle before it goes anywhere near a road anyway. I cannot be the only one in this situation so assume it's not a problem.

So that's it really, what are people's thoughts, experiences and what happens in the process? If this does get into the realms of IVAs (because that's what it might be) then I'll need to have this removed. I'm not expecting that all of the vehicles we're had rebuilt on here have been IVA'd.

As it was a known & legally registered vehicle before you pulled it apart, the only major change is a new chassis, 

engine is still a V8 so same type & fuel

gearbox is the same type manual 4 or 5 speed, transfer box is same type,

suspension is the same type - coil springs as are the axles & steering, 

its a new like for like chassis so just a component change like replacing a gearbox or engine block.

individual body panels aren't counted.

when I did my chassis change, when the local VRO offices were still around even they didn't really know, a woman there suggested they would issue a new chassis number but relented after I could prove it was already a known/registered vehicle & a 'like for like' brand new chassis, they suggested I spoke to VOSA at Exeter, I explained what I had done & the team there said just retain the old chassis VIN, the receipt for new chassis, get a new MOT, tell insurance co about the change & put it on the road, they [VOSA] weren't really interested, no mention of a engineers report from either of the offices.

HTH 

You have enough points to keep the original ID so no need to get them involved - and in fact doing do would be very risky as many of their staff don’t understand their own rules and you could end up in a world of pain.

Send the V5 off with new engine number/details (plus supporting info as per the website guidance) and colour, that’s all you need to do.

• Like 1

As above, only these days they do seem to require a supporting letter where engines have been changed, ... even though yours is the same type fuel etc. If you anticipate the question and send some headed letter (executed to a good standard etc.) with it it may just save a little time.

I know my 110 to 130 is an IVA and and I got a DVLA chassis number issued in advance, but in your case I think you are safely within the points.

All,

thank you, really good advice and just what I expected. I will give a VOSA office a call and just see theoretically what they would want as Ralph did, but with a view to sending just V5 with colour and engine changes. I am very wary of trying to be too helpful and causing someone who doesn't understand this is not some Spectre-ish special build to press the wrong button.

For a vehicle that will look entirely standard, there is quite a list of underlying modifications I've accumulated so I just want to make sure I'm absolutely legit.

• Like 1