TD5

Simon_CSK

Can anyone tell me the difference between a P10 engine and a P15 engine and how other than the engine number can one determine which engine I have?

I have a good running engine I have taken from a salvage vehicle and is currently in my D2 that I am now breaking up.

23 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

I think the easiest way is that the p15 has a water cooled EGR system. So if there is a cooling ‘tank’ at the front of the engine in the EGR circuit it’s a 15.

Anderzander

Thanks for your reply however the engine was stripped of some of the ancliiaries when it was fitted to the earlier car, but from memory there was no EGR system on either.

If the fuel pressure regulator has an extra pipe that goes forward along the side of the head behind the inlet manifold to a fitting screwed in at the front of the head, right behind the sprung loaded timing chain tensioner, it is a 15p.  If it only has 2 pipes attached to it, it's a 10p engine.

Land Rover made the fuel return external on the later engines, rather than an internal channel in an attempt to stop the head cracking and filling the sump with diesel (although it wasn't a complete cure).

• Like 2

As far as i'm aware there were no differences in the block.  Happy to be proven wrong though.  Lots of little differences in the top end, injectors are different, fuel rail set up, egr cooler (really late ones had a square fuel cooler which was much better sealed than the earlier tube type) etc