Disco 300TDI engine in 1983 LR 110 (fan cowl)

The fan won’t be effective without a cowl I’m afraid.

If the engine has been fitted in the standard 300Tdi position then a 300Tdi cowl would fit, however it looks from the photo to be much further back and so I suspect you’ll be into a custom-made arrangement. A lot of folk people don’t bother and fit electric fans as a workaround.

Best is to remove the visco fan completely and put an electric fan (or two)  on the watercooler and  intercooler. The intercooler is often forgotten, when rebuilding to el. fan. Result: More fuel efficiency (i had minus 0.2l - 0.3 l) and quieter.

• Like 1

I've reallocated my now redundant A/C condenser fans as follows.  Both are "pusher" fans.  One is dedicated full time to cooling the intercooler.  This is powered only when ignition is ON.  Although this might seem unnecessary, if you are in low gear/slow speed for a considerable time, perhaps even winching, there is virtually no air thrust through the radiator and intercooler. so this is a benefit.  The other is a first-on radiator cooler, switched by coolant temperature, followed at a higher coolant temperature by a major electric fan.  This larger fan is a "puller" fan.  These two fans are powered by an "Always ON" power supply from the starter, since on engine shut down the residual block heat can give high coolant temperatures, if engine shutdown occurs before a period of cooling the engine down at relatively low RPM.  These fans could be protected from a faulty long run time by an in-line timer switch/relay.  I'm making custom ducting so that both fan set-ups have custom ducting to concentrate air flow through the relevant cooling cores. 

Mike

• Like 1

Even going electric you still need to have a cowl, or some sort of ducting to ensure that air is not by-passing the radiator.  My main fan is sealed to the radiator core with draught excluder self-adhesive tape.  Similarly for the two small fans, which are both pushers. If the fans are not sealed the air flow will dissipate and go around the radiator, or even just return to the fan inlet.  Neither option helps your cooling.

Mike

Agree, if you can do it.  It's very difficult to mount a circular fan body to a rectangular radiator matrix unless the circular fan body is larger than the radiator.  Be interesting to try on a Defender radiator without modifying the bonnet.  My point is that whatever dimensions and fittings, you have to minimise radiator by-passing and fan recirculation.

Mike