End caps and hard tops and DVLA

2 questions...

Numero Uno:

I got two new end caps fitted (is this what they're called-the caps that go in the centre of the wheels on the end of the axle..?) a couple of weeks ago. They're cracked and leaking black all over my shiny alloys! I bought a couple more from bearm*** at the weekend. Heated the in hot water and popped them on..only they didn't pop on. Any which way I tried, they just wouldn't click on. Any ideas from anyone?

Numero Dos:

I fitted a van top over xmas - do I need to notify DVLA/insurers? Do either need notifying of rear seats? (I know that's two questions!!)

In reply to your first question:

Numero Uno:

I got two new end caps fitted (is this what they're called-the caps that go in the centre of the wheels on the end of the axle..?) a couple of weeks ago. They're cracked and leaking black all over my shiny alloys! I bought a couple more from bearm*** at the weekend. Heated the in hot water and popped them on..only they didn't pop on. Any which way I tried, they just wouldn't click on. Any ideas from anyone?

The caps you reffer to are s**t from the mentioned company. Get genuine ones they are made from a better plastic that stretches enough to fit them, but is elastic enough for them seal once fitted. In my opinion these are one of the parts that need to be bought from LR

Adrian

I fitted a van top over xmas - do I need to notify DVLA/insurers? Do either need notifying of rear seats? (I know that's two questions!!)

There was talk that this could leave you looking for an SVA test :blink:

Now I could see it being a problem if you were chopping the top of a Corsa to make a cabriolet but changing TC to Hardtop really should not apply. However, there is one set of rules for ALL vehicles regardless of how meccano like they are!

What body type is reported on the V5. If it says "4x4 Utility" or similar then you could argue the TC and Hardtop are both utility.

Insurers should be told. If they are one that knows Land Rovers then it should not be a problem.

As for seats as you have gone TC to HT then you'll have to inform as you could not possibly seat 7 in a TC :rolleyes:

I have a Hardtop (no windows) but is marked SW on the V5 so can take 7.

There was talk that this could leave you looking for an SVA test :blink:

Now I could see it being a problem if you were chopping the top of a Corsa to make a cabriolet but changing TC to Hardtop really should not apply. However, there is one set of rules for ALL vehicles regardless of how meccano like they are!

What body type is reported on the V5. If it says "4x4 Utility" or similar then you could argue the TC and Hardtop are both utility.

Insurers should be told. If they are one that knows Land Rovers then it should not be a problem.

As for seats as you have gone TC to HT then you'll have to inform as you could not possibly seat 7 in a TC :rolleyes:

I have a Hardtop (no windows) but is marked SW on the V5 so can take 7.

I suspect TC to HT is not an issue (v5 probably won't differentiate anyway) but seats could be another story. If the truck is a 3 seat utility and you convert it to 7 seater then this almost certainly requires v5 change and insurance notification. The real fly in the ointment is not likely to be SVA but VAT.

3 types of hub plastic endcap for 90/110's

frc4377 has a flange around the base

ftc943 plain without LR logo embossed into it (superseded by ftc5414 with LR logo)

as for fitting the hardtop, at the least inform your insurers & depending on what description is on the V5, tell dvla as you've effectively changed the body type from a pick up to a van/ht.

hth :D

3 types of hub plastic endcap for 90/110's

frc4377 has a flange around the base

ftc943 plain without LR logo embossed into it (superseded by ftc5414 with LR logo)

as for fitting the hardtop, at the least inform your insurers & depending on what description is on the V5, tell dvla as you've effectively changed the body type from a pick up to a van/ht.

hth :D

not too sure about changing to a hard top re. dvla, it not too much different from saw adding a grp or ifor hard top on the back of say a hilux or something. only difference i can see is that the barrier to the cab is not maintained. i personally would not bother informing the dvla, but its your call. i would expect your car is listed a s a light goods 4x4 or somehting like that, which doesn't really discriminate between body type.

would agree about informing the insurers though. chances are they'll be 'yeah whatever' but at least you have informed them and you are in the right.

i think seats may be a different issue, and i couldn't comment, the number of seats and quite a few other items are thankfully not included on my v5, perhaps owing to the age of the vehicle.

The V5 Says...

Make - Land Rover (Obviously!)

Model/Type - 90 4C SW DT Diesel

Body Type - Light 4x4 Utility

Is this what it should say then?

would that not indicate:

4 cylinder

Station Wagon

Diesel Turbo?

light 4 x 4 utility - maybe a std term

some of them (TC's) may be classed as a pick after all that's what LR market them as

Perhaps yours was a HT in its earlier years??????

The V5 Says...

Make - Land Rover (Obviously!)

Model/Type - 90 4C SW DT Diesel

Body Type - Light 4x4 Utility

Is this what it should say then?

IIRC the 'SW' shown above is DVLA's abbreivation for Station Wagon, Has it always been a TC ? or maybe a previous owner changed it to the current truck cab from a station wagon, but the description looks good & would seem to cover any 90 thats a hardtop or truckcab pick up :D

IIRC the 'SW' shown above is DVLA's abbreivation for Station Wagon, Has it always been a TC ? or maybe a previous owner changed it to the current truck cab from a station wagon, but the description looks good & would seem to cover any 90 thats a hardtop or truckcab pick up :D

Perhaps in a former life it was a SW then! At least I'm clear with the DVLA!

you could contact dvla & get the vehicles history from their database, there is a £10 fee IIRC, did it for my 110 after I got it, the info included copies of the first registration when new form & previous last 2 owners.

at least ring to clarify the SW on your current V5.