2.5 NA Diesel Injector Pump Seal

I've searched here for this item at length, but wonder if somebody might be able to provide the correct part number? I'm looking to replace the seal in the front cover while I have the engine in bits.

Mine is a 1987 NA 2.5, with CAV injection pump. white90 has done a nice treatment on replacing the seal insitu here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=5260

although sadly the pictures seem to be missing

In this thread:

Les Henson identifies the seal as "Delphi part number 7243-006". But google reckons that to be a boost diaphragm that looks like this:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.e0835591ac15789d0edebd8f09f08a83.jpg

Could anybody can clear up this confusion before I start ringing people up. I always like to give the impression that I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks - Phill

So the following pictures show the inner workings of what white90 is referring to in his blurb. I think.

Here's the original seal in situ:

20210401_132829.thumb.jpg.b994967161c3d8c11631aa84be6d13d0.jpg

Now, I have my front cover off the engine but with the pump still attached so I don't loose the timing. Hopefully the gasket between pump and cover is in good shape. Any views on whether that is prone to breaking down and should be replaced? Still anguishing over that...

20210401_141355.thumb.jpg.1c55f09d74bcccc7226f39b3c42b6e14.jpg

Drilled with a 1.5mm drill. Tip of a self-tapper screwed in and it pulled out easily.

Comparison between old and new:

20210401_142344.thumb.jpg.84b932a3a2c0b6ab47409db79ddc76aa.jpg

I'm still no wiser on what the part number is but they look like a credible match, The new one has a lot more meat in the sealing surface that fits around the pump shaft. It's a 1987 vehicle that has only done 3,600 miles and 1,100 running hours (it has a clock for that). Is it possible that the seal has suffered from lack of use? Or maybe the material just ages?

Anyhow, the new seal would certainly go in. Just before I fit it, does anybody have a view on whether it should be greased, or is it simply lubricated by the diesel on the pump side? white90 says that "As soon as the seal comes out, the diesel inside the pump starts to trickle out...", so it appears there should be diesel behind the seal? S there's no need for grease?

The workshop manual is delightfully vague on this seal - section 12, p81, para 6. Para 7 has us fitting the pulley so surely the washer they're referring to is this seal? It doesn't say anything about the gasket between the pump and the cover plate though. Or is that what it means by washer? The crankshaft and camshaft in the preceding sections are talked about as having seals...

Confused of Penzance

Edited by Phill S

A phone call to the guys at Helston Diesel would be worth the time, they rebuilt my Tdi injection pump a few years ago & helped when I had a leak & supplied the new seal. 

http://www.helstondiesel.co.uk/contact.htm

As soon as the seal comes out, the diesel inside the pump starts to trickle out, and continues to do so as it self-syphons fuel out of the filter housing. The new seal just taps in and I used a 27mm deep socket to do this. It's very easy to damage the seal lip, as it tries to reverse itself as the seal is tapped in. A very thin screwdriver, such as a watchmakers or small electrical type will help to keep the lip in.

Once in, replace the circlip, put the sprocket back on, 

no mention of a washer behind the timing gear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • western changed the title to 2.5 NA Diesel Injector Pump Seal
On 4/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, Phill S said:

It's a 1987 vehicle that has only done 3,600 miles and 1,100 running hours (it has a clock for that).

That makes an average speed of just over 3mph.  Perhaps it has a clock for clocking the mileage!

Mike

• 2 years later...