V8 Valley Gasket - to seal or not to seal!

I am finally getting around to my planned cam change on my '99 3.5 V8 Defender 110 Station Wagon and I am in the process of sorting out the various steps. One of the areas I would appreciate input on is the installation of the new valley gasket. The replacement I have is the later type and I haven't been able to find any clear recommendation regarding the need for additional sealant during fitting other than the occasional recommendation to use blue Hylomar around the water passages. Any recommendations will be gratefully received!

Cheers,

Del

14 hours ago, garrycol said:

I have always used sealant and not had leaks.  Started using sealant because one fitted at the time was sucking in air and causing running issues.

Out of interest what sealant did you use?

Del

I do the same as elbekko and put a smidge of black silicone where the corners of the rubber valley end seals meet the head/block interface. I also use a tiny smear of blue hylomar around the coolant ports but that's mainly because my head's weren't treated well in a previous life and are a bit pitted in that region. 

Never had any valley leaks.

Screenshot_20210420-183319.jpg

Edited by Quagmire
Added screenshot of WSM