1970 Series 109 lwb Brakes

kevin50

Well now Im really confused, mind you it does not take much. Im sure I read somewhere that some models had 11 inch rear and 10 inch at front
Anyway this is what I have just took off 109 axle, 11inch at rear and 10 inch at front. Now the rear had the backing plate and shoes fitted but they are missing from the front. First pic is Drums rear on the left and front on the right.
Second pic is brakes that were in rear,
Is this wrong, Need to know as going to Order new parts for Rebuild.

IMG_20210506_175353.jpg

IMG_20210506_175415.jpg

Someone has fitted an 88’s axle to the front of the 109.  That braking configuration is dangerous.  You’ll need the entire brake assemblies for each wheel, but the rest of the axle is the same as a 109’s, the only key differences of Series Rover axle types being the pre and post 1980 hubs and stub axles and the Stage 1 V8.

• Like 1

The other variant worth mentioning is the 6 cylinder / 1 ton / Forward Control front brakes with wider 11" diameter shoes and drums with different wheel cylinders . 

Don't junk the 10" parts as the back plates will be of use to others .

Steve

• Like 1

Some of the FC's and 1 ton 109's but the 6 pot's were all Rover axles . The brake system is the same for Rover / ENV / Salisbury axles . Single leading shoe 11" on the back and the 6 pot  11" wide shoe on the front according to my factory parts book .

Steve

Yes , they are the ones . You will need to check the pipe thread in the wheel cylinders as it is unspecified on the site pages . Correct for your year would be 3/8UNF . the later S3 would be M10 fine pitch .

Steve

1 hour ago, steve b said:

Yes , they are the ones . You will need to check the pipe thread in the wheel cylinders as it is unspecified on the site pages . Correct for your year would be 3/8UNF . the later S3 would be M10 fine pitch .

Steve

Thanks Mate.  Its a full rebuild so can match pipe to whatever cylinders I get

On 5/8/2021 at 11:42 AM, steve b said:

The other variant worth mentioning is the 6 cylinder / 1 ton / Forward Control front brakes with wider 11" diameter shoes and drums with different wheel cylinders . 

Don't junk the 10" parts as the back plates will be of use to others .

Steve

He says now.... I think i ditched my front backing plates after tripping over them a dozen times after my zeus front disk conversion....
Knowing that they where non replaceable I would have given them to a local collector here in france (as I intend to do with my 2.25di engine)  

Edited by xychix